Railroad Forums 

• Grocery Stores/Food Dist.

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #562596  by Jayjay1213

Correct, Conrail drags the intermodal cars into Arlington yard, then NYCT, comes out with a GP38-2, and drags the cars into the port area. Conrail also serves the only other customer on the island, the garbage back at the dump.
 #564540  by hrfcarl

Jayjay1213 wrote:Correct, Conrail drags the intermodal cars into Arlington yard, then NYCT, comes out with a GP38-2, and drags the cars into the port area. Conrail also serves the only other customer on the island, the garbage back at the dump.
How many times does Conrail make the trip to Arlington Yard?
Jayjay1213 wrote:On Staten Island, Conrail has the sole rights running into there. It is a Port Newark crew that regularly runs there, with the Bayway job occasionally bringing empty garbage cars over. The majority of the intermodal for SI comes in on CSX, so the CSX road crew leaves the power on the cut of cars, and the Conrail crew jumps on.
Using this map: https://www.nysdot.gov/portal/page/port ... ailmap.pdf and Conrails site: http://www.conrail.com/freight.htm, this trackage is Conrail Shared Assets, which in turn is owned by CSX and NS, so why the crew change?
jayrmli wrote:Because they don't want it. Railroads will only push for something if it means more of this: $$$$$

If there isn't a large enough profit margin, they won't go for it. Why would they? Simple economics.

Jay
Economics I can understand, but what makes for such a small profit margin? In the case of intermodal, I can sort of see since a special site and equipment are needed, but in the case of transloading goods at wharehouses/distribution centers from trains (many of which did receive such loads) moving 2x to 3x the loads of trucks, all that seems to be missing is an efficient route to Brooklyn/Queens/LI. With trackage rights, this tunnel might allow more efficient routing to Oak Point from points south and west. Is the existing number of these wharehouses/distibution centers in Brooklyn/Queens/LI considered so low thus not enough profits to be made? But with more efficient route, might this attract more customers? Sounding circular again. :wink:
 #564639  by oknazevad

hrfcarl wrote: Using this map: https://www.nysdot.gov/portal/page/port ... ailmap.pdf and Conrails site: http://www.conrail.com/freight.htm, this trackage is Conrail Shared Assets, which in turn is owned by CSX and NS, so why the crew change?
IIRC, even though CSAO is owned by CSX & NS, it remains an independent RR, albeit much reduced in size, and therefore has separate labor agreements, operating rules, etc. . So Conrail crews are required to operate in Conrail territory, at least to a certain extent, i believe. But I could be wrong and seek corrections.
 #564675  by Jayjay1213

Jay, you about nailed it on the Shared Assets thing. Just one other thing, qualifications. Only Conrail crews are qualified over the bridge. Even if they were allowed over there, most NS and CSX crews about outlaw trying to make there way thru the mess called North Jersey Consolidated Terminal (although it is getting better) after already trying to traverse there respective roads.

Stuff coming from the west to Oak Point, which is the majority of the traffic going there, comes thru Buffalo. Why in the world would it use the tunnel when they just come down the Hudson Line?
 #564949  by Jayjay1213

Sorry, forgot to answer your other question Hrfcarl. There is a job out of Port Newark that was M-F to run with the containers into SI. They do run extras in there on the weekend. Also the Bayway job, will a few times a week, bring empty garbage cars into Arlington yard for the PN job to spot at the sanitation back behind the dump.
 #565396  by workextra

I would like to know, If grocery stores with near track access or even access to a team track or team yard, would be able to transport specific goods in large quantities, on a once a month or once every 2 month basis? I'm looking mostly into paper goods and non perishables, Goods that if stored in the boxcar would not spoil.
Trying to keep this in tune with Grocery Stores/Food Distributors for EX, you have the Walbaums by RVC even the King Kullen, if they could get rail shipments of say papers goods and other non perishables by rail once a month or once every 2 months, would that make any difference in the amount of trucks over the road?
I must bring up Price Parkway, Is there any way that the state can step in and demand that be used for whole sale distributors?
If the goods can be transported to that site by train, then off loaded and shipped to local retail centers by smaller trucks I think that would make a difference. Here we have a perfect place and perfect location not being utilized properly.
You got BJ's near by that would do very good with rail freight, PC, Richards, and even Lowes, just got to get a few more large shippers in there.
 #565400  by jayrmli

I would like to know, If grocery stores with near track access or even access to a team track or team yard, would be able to transport specific goods in large quantities, on a once a month or once every 2 month basis? I'm looking mostly into paper goods and non perishables, Goods that if stored in the boxcar would not spoil.
Trying to keep this in tune with Grocery Stores/Food Distributors for EX, you have the Walbaums by RVC even the King Kullen, if they could get rail shipments of say papers goods and other non perishables by rail once a month or once every 2 months, would that make any difference in the amount of trucks over the road?
I must bring up Price Parkway, Is there any way that the state can step in and demand that be used for whole sale distributors?
If the goods can be transported to that site by train, then off loaded and shipped to local retail centers by smaller trucks I think that would make a difference. Here we have a perfect place and perfect location not being utilized properly.
You got BJ's near by that would do very good with rail freight, PC, Richards, and even Lowes, just got to get a few more large shippers in there.
First, to answer your question regarding Waldbaums in Rockville Center, that is not a distribution point, but just a supermarket. To put a switch there wouldn't be cost efficient, would be very expensive and you wouldn't have room for a supermarket there.

Some of the items you are referring to (paper goods) may already be carried to other companies via rail, which in turn are delivered to the supermarkets.

As for Price Industrial Park, you have to realize that many of the companies that once took rail shipments in there no longer exist. Many warehouses are now furniture showrooms and businesses open to the public - not delivery warehouses. The one exception may be PC Richard, but they will not take shipments in cars that can not exceed 263,000 lbs. LIRR has a weight restriction on the cars, prohibiting the cars they need.

Jay
 #565585  by The Tenth Legion

So I guess the trackage in the Price Parkway complex can only be used as team trackage (I seem to remember a post that said a plastics customer received pellets here that were trans-loaded into trucks for delivery to their plant back in the Nineties) or as storage for empties destined to other Main Line or Central branch customers. If the switch from the Main Line into the surviving trackage hasn't been used in a long while, maybe it should be rehabbed and thus become available for use as a connection to a team track or storage track situation. Money, in this current environment, well spent.
 #565649  by Sir Ray

I'm not sure that anyone wants to use Price Parkway for a team track - if anything, it would more likely be off of New Highway or Conklin Ave. (near the C&D client - which originally was sort of a team track/intermodal yard in the 1990s anyway).
 #565965  by hrfcarl

Jayjay1213 wrote:Stuff coming from the west to Oak Point, which is the majority of the traffic going there, comes thru Buffalo. Why in the world would it use the tunnel when they just come down the Hudson Line?
Ok, it seems I do not fully understand rail shipping to NYC/LI. From this thread, the impression I get is that stuff either rails to NJ or thru Buffalo then down the Hudson Line to Oak Point where the stuff is loaded onto trucks for shipment into NYC/LI. There is some stuff that does come into Fresh Pond via Hells Gate Bridge as well. Do I have this correct?

This tunnel is suppose to provide a less costly (time &/or $) rail route into NYC/LI in the hopes of reducing trucking into NYC/LI. Of course there will still be local trucking. I mentioned Oak Point as a possible 2ndary beneficiary of this tunnel, but is it being said there is no stuff coming to this site that could take advantage of this tunnel and avoid MNRR? There are no new or existing customers that could take advantage of this direct rail route with NYC/LI and Oak Point access?
Sir Ray wrote:I'm not sure that anyone wants to use Price Parkway for a team track - if anything, it would more likely be off of New Highway or Conklin Ave. (near the C&D client - which originally was sort of a team track/intermodal yard in the 1990s anyway).

Before the Lowes was built, I thought that might have been a good site for a LI freight yard/distribution center - intermodal or transloading. Another site might be the space south of the tracks between Rt110, New Highway and Conklin Ave - except for some new car storage and mulching(?) site, the property looks pretty abandoned. Still need to get the freight cars to LI though.

Thanks for the Conrail on SI info.
 #566043  by jayrmli

This tunnel is suppose to provide a less costly (time &/or $) rail route into NYC/LI in the hopes of reducing trucking into NYC/LI. Of course there will still be local trucking. I mentioned Oak Point as a possible 2ndary beneficiary of this tunnel, but is it being said there is no stuff coming to this site that could take advantage of this tunnel and avoid MNRR? There are no new or existing customers that could take advantage of this direct rail route with NYC/LI and Oak Point access?
As I posted earlier, this is information spouted by politicians, one in particular (Nadler), and not proclaimed by one railroad - not one. If the railroads wanted it, and felt a need for it, they would push for it, and it would have been done sometime in the almost 100 years it has been proposed.

Jay
 #566045  by jayrmli

Before the Lowes was built, I thought that might have been a good site for a LI freight yard/distribution center - intermodal or transloading.
Transloading = more local trucks. This is the last thing anyone needs who travels the Route 110 corridor. The PW team track, now operated by Coastal Distribution, is still considered a transloading facilty, but not any takers there as far as I know.

Jay
 #566702  by Steamboat Willie

If anyone has checked out Price Industrial, most of the surrounding area has changed significantly since Lowes went in there. The track that comes off the mainline is in subpar condition and the surrounding area is for the most part built up now.