Railroad Forums 

• Griffin, Georgia

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1164841  by mterrell

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the operations NS does in the Griffin area. I am from the area and I know of several businesses that get service on a few sidings around town. I think one train goes to Macon each day and one comes to Griffin from Macon, while I believe one from Atlanta comes to town every day as well.

Then there is the wye there: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=griffin,+ ... a&t=h&z=18

This track goes out past Carver Road (over the 19/41 bridge) and is maintained pretty well. The rail looks like it was replaced within the last few years and you can tell some train cars have been over the tracks due to the cutouts at the crossings. However, it stops before it crosses Williamson Road. I am wondering what businesses it serves on this short track (just a few miles) since there aren't any apparent ones. I assume the line used to go to Williamson and further on before it was truncated right around the Williamson Road area. There is one siding by Carver Road and I've seen a car or two stored on it in the last few years randomly but I don't know of any businesses in the area that utilize service.

I assume the engine that serves these businesses (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.231679 ... 1&t=h&z=16) runs that line as well? As far as I know, those are the only two sidings (or short lines I guess you could call the first one) in the area that utilize NS service since the mills have all gone under and most all sidings around town have been closed. There are tracks into the Caterpillar Plant (and Escea Gas Fires, which is on the same siding) but I have never seen cars there and don't know if they are used anymore. Blaze Recycling (near the yard in Griffin) has had a few cars every now and then.

Anyway, any information anyone has on operations in the area for businesses as well as what NS does daily around Griffin in terms of trains coming/going would be appreciated! Thanks!
 #1190316  by DocJohn

NS Griffin District

Through trains (generally northbound in the morning, southbound in the early to late evening)
246/251 Triple Crown (does not always run every day). 246 sometimes leaves Macon before sunrise.
140/139 Macon to Atlanta freight trains with a stop in Griffin (generally do not run Saturdays)

There are several Griffin locals, however, one (G09) is reported not to be running on account summer shutdown of woodchip plant at MP S-238. One of the locals also does the Thomaston Branch.

G02, the local out of Macon generally only goes as far as Barnesville.

John in Macon