Railroad Forums 

• Greys Ferry Tunnel

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#137147  by LIRR272

Does anyone know how to get to this location in Philadelphia PA? I saw a couple of pics on the net with CSX trains blasting thru the tunnel.

Thank you.

#137249  by kevikens

Do you mean Gray's FERRY Tunnel, the one going into Philly's Eastside Yard ?

#137251  by kevikens

If you do mean the Gray's FERRY Tunnel go to the Yahoo map of Philadelphia. It is near the intersection of Grays Ferry Ave. and 34th St. in the city's southwest quadrant.There is a bridge going over the line just to the south of the tunnel. Best time for the sun is late morning through mid afternoon. If you get there earlier you can photograph trains going into or out of the old B&O's Eastside yard just by facing away fron the tunnel. There is an exit from the Schuylkill Expressway, I -76 nearby but I don't know the name or number of that exit. Also just a few blocks away there is the bridge over the Schuylkill near RG Tower (still staffed). You can photograph trains coming off the bridge without going onto CSX property. it's agood spot.

#137514  by LIRR272

Thanks for the clerification. Yes thats the tunnel I was refering to.

#138574  by kevikens

LIRR: Since I wrote about this location to you I went over there ( about ten miles from where I live) to see what was going on Sat AM. I caught a trash train exiting the tunnel about 10:00 Am but the sun was not yet in the right position so I turned around and got pix of him entering the Eastside Yard. There was a CN locomotive in the consist. He exchanged crews at RG and then crossed the Schuylkill and headed south and I got pix of him crossing the truss swing bridge. Still a good spot.