• Green Mountain Railway - Passenger Excursions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by polishpunk75

I myself was shocked to see the almost total reduction in the Green Mountain Flyer. I make the Rutland trip every year. Been going to Bellows Falls ever since I was a little kid(Riverside too until 82). Last year (2009) I got to ride in the #260 Rutland combine, which I was told was being retired after the 2009 season (Wood cars=high liability). I was also unhappy to see a red VRS GP instead of my beloved Alco RS-1 #405.

The effects of the current economic climate can also be seen at Bellows Falls. The yard around the passenger building was totally empty and weed grown.

Times change. I understand that. But moving ops up North where less people from the more populated Southern New England makes me scratch my head. They couldve cut back to weekends only. Or maybe 1 day a week. But total relocation? I kindve have the same feeling when Steamtown left.

I will still book myself onto this years Rutland trip and maybe, just maybe I'll get to see 405 one last time.
  by Steam3713

#405 has been powering the Green Mountain Flyer excursions out of Bellows Falls when they've run this year as well as getting in a few days of freight service when VRS has been short of power on the Bellows Falls switcher (DASW). My VRS sources say #405 will be heading north on July 17th to White River Jct. to serve as regular power for the White River flyer-- for the balance of the Summer and Fall passenger season. Doubt very much it'll return to Bellows Falls for the Rutland Limited.

The GMF situation is Bellows Falls is indeed very similar to when Steamtown left Bellows Falls--not enough tourists to support it, and not much local interest to help out. Whether White River Jct. is able to draw more tourists than BF remains to be seen. I'd say, however, at this point in time, White River Jct. is a lot more important to VRS politically than Bellows Falls is--and for better or for worse, a lot of what happens with VRS passenger operations these days is politically driven.

Frederick G. Bailey
  by DonPevsner

Occasional full-day excursions all the way from Bellows Falls to Rutland and return would probably draw far better loads. I made two special drives to ride such excursions about 2001-2003, from my then-second home near Kingston, NY. Is the GMRR track in decent enough shape now to enable 35mph operation for a passenger train between Bellows Falls and Rutland?
  by TheJollyRailfan

I was just up at Bellows Falls yesterday and the place looks alot diferent. The gift shop has been cleared out completely and moved up to White River. The sidings along the route and in the BF yard are filled with emptys. Even the cars used on the train were the yet to be painted brown coaches. Luckily the 405 was around to brighten up the place. I was told she is getting shipped up north on Monday.
DonPevsner wrote:Is the GMRR track in decent enough shape now to enable 35mph operation for a passenger train between Bellows Falls and Rutland?
The Current allowed track speed for Passenger trains is 30mph.
  by MikeVT

Thought I saw 405 in Barre today. Didnt look the close, it was parked behind the old station near downtown.
  by TheJollyRailfan

MikeVT wrote:Thought I saw 405 in Barre today. Didnt look the close, it was parked behind the old station near downtown.
Most likely it was the 804. 804 is a GP9 with a smilar stripe paint scheme that is workin the montepelier branch at the moment. As far as I know 405 is still at the Falls.
  by Steam3713

GMRC RS-1 #405 was shipped north to White River Jct. via the New England Central local earlier this week. It will be the regular power for the White River Flyer excursions--check the VRS web site for dates and times of operation.

The Green Mountain Flyer out of Bellows Falls will likely have whatever locomotive is assigned to the Bellows Falls switcher (Train DASW) for power for the balance of the operating season. Since DASW does not normally operate on Friday, its power will most likely be readily available on the days that the Green Mountain Flyer is scheduled to run. Check the VRS web site for updated days of GMF operation--VRS has added a notation to their website that some Fridays have been cancelled; you can find the dates of operation that are currently considered "definite" by clicking on "Buy Tickets".

Frederick G. Bailey
  by MikeVT

Looks like Green Mountain really cut back on thier scenic trains. It looks like WRJ is the only site. I dont see Bellows Falls or Burlington on thier website anymore.
  by Otto Vondrak

MikeVT wrote:Looks like Green Mountain really cut back on thier scenic trains. It looks like WRJ is the only site. I dont see Bellows Falls or Burlington on thier website anymore.
At least since last year?
  by shadyjay

No excursions AT ALL listed from Bellows Falls... not even the Rutland train!

Burlington still has the fireworks trains, operating from Charlotte and Shelburne.
  by gawlikfj

Last Fall we took the Green Mtn. trip from Bellow Falls to Rutland & it was sold out as usual.
They used the C&P #306 . Looking at the Green Mtn flyer thats on the web it only shows the trip to White River Junction . No mention of BF to Chester or a trip to Rutland .
I know last year the gift shop was moved to White River from Bellow Falls.
  by passumpsic1

just a thought but was anyone out and about to see the 405, 305 pull the 13 car train for the workers who herped the VRS after Irene?
  by passumpsic1

thanks for the pic I was actually following the train all day and met up with Kevin on the return trip.