Railroad Forums 

• Green Boxes

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1252  by danb

Last August I was in Glenwood Springs, CO. On the UP/Amtrak line I noticed some heavy-duty flatcars in a small yard. On these cars were large steel green-painted crates. They had mesh over the top and looked like dumpsters. They were obviously really heavy. Theeir labeling gave no clue as to their contents, and I was bewildered for the rest ofd the trip.

I don't know what they were, and I was hoping someone would help me.

Thanks!!

#2993  by John_Perkowski

Considering that UP (late D&RGW) is still cleaning up from the Coal Train wreck, it wouldn't surprise me if they were industrial waste containers. When I took the CZ through (1 March) there was a LOT of junk (ties, signals, coal, car parts) on the ground.

#3287  by danb

Thanks!
They looked like some sort of waste containers. What's the "coal train wreck"? Was it an actual wreck? If so where did it occur?

Thanks again!

#3590  by John_Perkowski

A coal train decided it wanted to leave the rails between Dotsero and Glenwood Springs, about February 15.

Took out the roadbed, the signals, busted up cars, spilled coal everywhere, and this was in single track territory.

I went through WB on the 23d. Big big mess still. Slow order of literally walking speed.

Came back EB on 1 March. Still a big mess.

#3950  by danb

Thanks!

#4136  by CSX Conductor

trash seems to be the largest growing rail business now-a-day