Railroad Forums 

• Great Meadows depot

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#396129  by tristate

Hello group
Can anyone tell me why the rails are still in place at Great Meadows? I know the building is on the historic registry. Also, what's the story on the wooden passenger car sitting there on the siding? It looks like an LHR car I've seen pictures of from the 1890's.
Den

#396225  by purplezep

The gentleman who bought the depot in the 1980's for his engineering firm refused to let Conrail take the rails up in 1986. Luckily they agreed. The owner wanted to preserve some history there along with the station. He has done an excellent job of restoring it. I don't believe the car is of LHR ancestory.
 #396233  by tristate

Thanks for the info. It's nice to know someone cares about preserving the purpose of the building and not just the structure.I looked in the windows and it was strange seeing the old train order desk a few feet from a computer screen.

#396565  by njmidland

I believe the combine is of Bangor & Aroostook heritage.

#396937  by oibu

njmidland is 100% correct, it is originally B&A (err, "BAR", not that other railroad that some folks call the "B&A"). It was on the BR&W before it moved to Great Meadows. Too bad it has deteriorated so badly, probably just another case of great intentions that fall by the waysidde when other things come up.