Railroad Forums 

• Grasse River RR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1441231  by granton junction

The Grasse River RR ran from Childwold on the Adirondack Div to Conifer (abandoned 1957) and Cranberry Lake (abandoned 1948). Green Frog has a DVD on logging rrs which includes a few clips of the GRRR. But also on the Cranberry Lake Boat Club web-site is a link to a more complete film of about 11 minutes. Scroll to Aug 3, 2017 for the link. 0:40 and 5:16 show Cranberry Lake. 5:24 I am guessing is the Dodge Brook Wye, and 5:46 seems to be a long curve between Lines and Clark. The mystery to me is at 5:52 where 2 persons appear trackside, and then at 5:58 is a grade crossing with a 'stop' sign for the rr. Where would this crossing have been? It cannot be the Route 3 crossing since that was at a much sharper angle. The Route 3 crossing was in the area of the present rest stop on Route 3 (east of Cranberry Lake). At 6:07 are freight cars, cabooses, and psgr cars. At 6:27 there is a bridge of some sort over the tracks. At 10:34 is the GRRR diesel at Childwold. Take a look at this on YouTube, and see if you can add any more details.
 #1441290  by tree68

Interesting!

The crane was a Barnhardt Loader - very common on logging railroads, from what I've seen.