Railroad Forums 

• Grass on right of way

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#631727  by gprimr1

I was looking at some desert pictures and I noticed that there was a decent amount of plants near the right of way. I wondered if this might be related to air conditioners releasing condensed water onto the trackbed.
 #631874  by David Benton

interesting observation Greg . I quess in a desert enviroment that small amount of water could make the difeerence between survival or not .

My quess would be that its more likely to be seed brought in with the ballast that causes it .
 #632046  by Steve F45

i always found it interesting how plants grow on the row and between the tracks with all the oil, fuel and other junk that drops down on teh ground. Its like as soon a train stops going thru for a few days, plants start to bloom up. Very interesting to me.
 #632152  by Ken W2KB

gprimr1 wrote:I was looking at some desert pictures and I noticed that there was a decent amount of plants near the right of way. I wondered if this might be related to air conditioners releasing condensed water onto the trackbed.
The roadbed and drainage ditch next to it may in effect create an artificial dry wash that fills with water in the occasional rainfall, and helps to support the plant life.