Railroad Forums 

• Grand Canyon Ry. drops its fires- no more steam

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#580026  by Otto Vondrak

Ridership loss, rising fuel prices drove GCR to cancel steam program
Print | Email | Contact Us
September 11, 2008
WILLIAMS, Ariz. - Fires have been permanently dropped from Grand Canyon Railway's steam locomotives, owner Xanterra Parks & Resorts has announced. The company said it is permanently canceling the steam program owing to its impact on the environment, and has laid off 20 employees as a result. An industry source with specific knowledge of the situation, however, paints the action as a business decision driven by fewer riders and costlier fuel.

Grand Canyon's steam locomotives will be placed on static display, and Xanterra spokesperson Judi Lages said the company has no plans to sell them.

GCR operates one daily steam trip between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The trains are powered by one of the railroad's three steam locomotives: a 2-8-0 and two 2-8-2s.

Xanterra bought GCR early last year. The company operates parks and resorts in several national parks including Death Valley, Crater Lake, Petrified Forest, and Grand Canyon. Denver businessman Phil Anschutz, known to the rail industry as the longtime owner of Denver & Rio Grande Western and Southern Pacific, announced plans this summer to buy Xanterra; the deal is expected occur this fall.

Lages said Xanterra had not factored the money to be saved by canceling the steam program into its decision. "We didn't analyze the cost savings. It was driven by the environmental impact," she said.
 #580267  by Otto Vondrak

It wasn't environmental impact, it's a diesel burns less fuel than a steam engine.

I hope the engines at Grand Canyon will find good homes.

-otto-
 #584611  by NJrailfan

Really sad to hear, having rode the line myself behind #29 back in 2004. I really don`t understand the enviromental imapct thing, since the GCRY fleet are supposed to be some of the most envoirmently freindly steam locomotives in the country, and they usually only run one trip a day. Hopefully the locomotives will be sold to another line where they can continue to operate.
 #587783  by GSC

I'm sure the costs of maintaining and operating steam has been factored in as well. Plus, ever-rising insurance on pressure vessels (since the Gettysburg RR and the Ohio steam tractor boiler failures) and the Federal compliance paperwork, inspections, etc. involved with keeping a pressure vessel in operation all had something to do with the decision.
 #590626  by jscola30

I sorta feel that the decision to keep the locotives as displays is a little selfish, why stuff and mount two perfectly good operating steam locomotives when other roads could use them? I'm sure though if someone were to offer the right price....
 #591329  by Otto Vondrak

jscola30 wrote:I sorta feel that the decision to keep the locotives as displays is a little selfish, why stuff and mount two perfectly good operating steam locomotives when other roads could use them? I'm sure though if someone were to offer the right price....
Heaven forbid these engines go to Steamtown or something...
 #625253  by daylight4449

Otto Vondrak wrote:
jscola30 wrote:I sorta feel that the decision to keep the locotives as displays is a little selfish, why stuff and mount two perfectly good operating steam locomotives when other roads could use them? I'm sure though if someone were to offer the right price....
Heaven forbid these engines go to Steamtown or something...
hey! what's so bad about steamtown?!
 #626888  by Otto Vondrak

daylight4449 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:Heaven forbid these engines go to Steamtown or something...
hey! what's so bad about steamtown?!
Uhhh... nothing? Steamtown seems like the perfect environment to store, maintain, and operate these "homeless" steam engines.