Railroad Forums 

• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1534739  by johnpbarlow

Ken Rice: the newly built siding at Hopedale has turnouts at both ends that would permit engines to run around a cut of cars. At this time though, it appears this new siding is being used for storing Dana Rail Services covered hoppers so runarounds can't happen. My understanding is more yard sidings will be built at at Hopedale.

When I saw the local arrive Hopedale at noon on Presidents Day Monday 2/17/20, the crew used gravity to roll the inbound consist down the main toward rte 16 past the power after it had been cut away and parked on the warehouse lead. There is a significant downhill section of track at the north entrance to the old Draper property (it's tough to find any stretch of level RoW on the G&U!).
 #1534740  by ebtmikado

Ken Rice wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:15 pm Possibly stupid question... it doesn’t appear that they have a runaround (yet) in Hopedale. Since that’s the end of the line (so far), once a train arrives there how to they get the engine(s) to the other end for switching and the trip back?
There was a runaround a few years ago during my last visit. I can't imagine that it's been removed,
 #1534744  by Ken Rice

Thanks guys. I didn’t realize the new runaround had been finished already. I think there’s another new track going in as well? Maybe when they get the second new track in they’ll be able to use it for storage and actually run around on the runaround. Anyway, I was curious how they’d managed up until they can use the new runaround.

John: I didn’t realize there was enough of a grade there. Gravity makes sense then. I guess that’s probably how they’ve been doing it all along. Thanks!
 #1534873  by Bill Reidy

Today's MBTA Fiscal and Management Control Board meeting had as a last agenda item purchase of the Milford Secondary from CSX, with a request for a vote. Here's the posted presentation:

https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/file ... ssible.pdf

Don't know the outcome. I assume this would have a direct impact on the G&U, but those with better knowledge should weigh in.
 #1534916  by johnpbarlow

Very interesting slide deck! WRT to impact on G&U, I guess it depends on whether CSX is given exclusive freight rights to Forge Park as part of the $13M transaction. Based on the amount of rail/ties that G&U seems to have acquired from MBTA in the past year as part of its Hopedale expansion and slow build out to Milford, it appears that G&U has a good working relationship with MBTA (and CSX for that matter). So perhaps the $13M sale might not mandate exclusive CSX freight rights. Also a perhaps minor wild card is that the former Ardagh bottle mfg plant in Milford, a former CSX customer, has been converted to a rail-served distribution warehouse that might generate traffic for G&U.
 #1535009  by MaineCoonCat

Hey, anyone ever hear what finally happened with B&M Baldwin #250 that was a topic of discussion in this forum back in 2014?
 #1535044  by b&m 1566

The one sitting at Edaville? Nothing, I think it was nothing more than rumors. BTW, it used to belong to the Wolfeboro Railroad, not B&M. What it was before Wolfeboro, I can't remember but I know it wasn't the B&M.
 #1535059  by MaineCoonCat

I stand corrected, and thank you. It appears it was the Bonhomie & Hattiesburg Southern Railroad in Mississippi.
I found this, with some photos.
https://www.jeff-z.com/wks/locoroster/250/250.html
 #1535674  by craven

Was at the Hopedale yard this AM 03 Mar., and noticed that a crew was laying rail from the bridge to Green street. Had about 50 yds in place.

Looks like the dream of connecting to MBTA in Milford is still alive!!
 #1535909  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Bill Reidy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:34 pm Today's MBTA Fiscal and Management Control Board meeting had as a last agenda item purchase of the Milford Secondary from CSX, with a request for a vote. Here's the posted presentation:

https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/file ... ssible.pdf

Don't know the outcome. I assume this would have a direct impact on the G&U, but those with better knowledge should weigh in.

This is the beginning steps to construct the much needed facility that the Franklin line desperately needs...acquire land, and build
 #1536006  by johnpbarlow

Given that the short rail extension from the Hopedale yard across rte 16 to the bridge over Hopedale St has been jammed with cars, G&U may just be lengthening this tail track to store more Dana Rail Service covered hoppers. On my visit to Hopedale on Friday 3/6/20, about 20 Dana covered hoppers were parked on the two yard storage tracks at Hopedale. Looks like a turnout is being prepped for installation off the G&U Logistics warehouse lead so another yard track should be going soon, I'm guessing. There are piles of rail and ties in the yard as you can see...

Q: Are the Dana covered hoppers parked in Hopedale loaded with wood pellets that get bagged and transloaded to trucks at W Upton yard? Or are these empties that G&U is paid to store for Dana?
Attachments:
G&U track extension Hopedal St 030620.jpg
G&U track extension Hopedal St 030620.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 2846 times
G&U New Switch Hopedale 030620.jpg
G&U New Switch Hopedale 030620.jpg (429.14 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
G&U Hopedale Yd 030620 2.jpg
G&U Hopedale Yd 030620 2.jpg (514.39 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
 #1536703  by craven

Was at the Hopedale yard today(3/14/2020) and more progress has been made.

The rails from Johnbarlow picture (3/7) have been connected to ties and the GP40MC1118 (3/11) post of "flatcars loaded with rail" are now positioned at the end of fixed rail. The road bed has been recently graded all the way past Green St. to Route 140. Welded rail, from the flat cars, has been laid the entire length was well. Stacks of ties with flange plates attached are staged at various points on the row.

If the weather holds up, I wouldn't be surprised if the row could have rail connected to the Cemetery by early April,
 #1537503  by craven

Was in Hopedale today (3/23) and watched the rail crew laying another 100 yds of track towards Green street.

Will be interesting to see if this work continues through this virus.