Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#283981  by CN9634

Looks like a CP C424

#284418  by ENR3870

Looks like a sand tank.
 #284686  by Komachi

Looks to me like someone was either too cheap or too lazy to put the beveled rear on the locomotive.

Unless, the shops got enough complaints from the crew about how much they'd like more room on the rear "porch" to do their switching duties, and this unit was an experiment on a switchman friendly conversion.

Just a couple thoughts.

Anyone else?

#284831  by lock4244

Likely for sand storage. In 2004 at Welland, ON., I saw another CP GP9 with s similar rear-end... except it stopped halfway up and the remainder of the end was standard GP9 end. CNJ had units with the half and half, and theirs was for extra sand, so I'd assume CP is the same. CP 1512 used to be assigned to the Hump at Toronto Yard (before it was bumped by ex SOU SD40-2's, and now ex SOO SD40-2's), so extra capacity of sand would lessen wasteful trips to the diesel shop.

When I was young (1980's), my dad and I would go and watch the trains at the yard, and I'd see 1512 all the time.

#517869  by CNW1212

Man it does look weird. Just caught it today. Looks like some sort of alco. It's on TC&W now and it was running long hooded giving me a better view of the back.

#518438  by rrboomer

I believe it's off of a Baldwin DRS 4-4-1000.

#540837  by ENR3870

rrboomer wrote:I believe it's off of a Baldwin DRS 4-4-1000.
I doubt it, the Baldwins were long gone by the time CP started rebuilding the GP9's. I could be wrong though.

I do know some of the CP GP9's had large sand tanks on the rear. 8530 was another one.