Railroad Forums 

• GP38-2's to be seen now

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#250983  by MEC407

Not that I'm defending the people who were completely disrespectful to nrelane, but if he/she had been a bit more clear and specific, the thread probably wouldn't have gone in the direction it did.

#251027  by GOLDEN-ARM

I agree. Railroads, and contracted shops have been "re-building" and upgrading diesels since the first ones were built. Those rebuilt GP-35's are nice, but not "new". I noticed the -2 sight glass window was absent from the loco, a certain spotting feature of a -2 loco. (kind of reminds me of the SD-35 to SD-40 conversions, the GP-7 ands 9 to GP 10 conversions, even the EMD rebuilds of NW-1's and 2's into SW-7's and 8's. GE super series conversions also come to mind............ :-D )

#251433  by GN 599

Yeah I thought it was pretty funny alot of people bashing nrelane considering that half of the people that use this site dont even work for a railroad or near one. People that nit pick crap like that really put the foam in foamer..... :( Nice sluething U-Haul! :P

#251443  by GOLDEN-ARM

How is that "nitpicking"? He stated they were building NEW GP-38-2's. First off, they are not new, but rebuilds from GP-35's. Second, I would imagine that EMD would hold some type of licensing, on that particular line of loco. Claiming you are building them new, when you are modifying some old junkers, leaves you wide open to criticism, and scrutiny. Has anyone even verified this person is some type of rep, cleared to discuss the product line of that particular rebuilder/lessor ? If he was "okayed" to discuss this loco, in the first place, he wouldn't have to have been so "secretive" in regards to what carrier was buying them, and what they were doing. Divulging company secrets is a topic for a whole other forum......... :P

#251482  by pablo

Correct, Golden-Arm. The guy was a wacko who wisely piped down when he realized he was foaming.

Oh, and whether or not someone works for a railroad is irrelevant.

Oh...and I DO work for a railroad, by the way.

Dave Becker

#251801  by GN 599

Yeah so do I and I got to run real BNSF GP38-2's today by the way, big flippin deal. Maybe the poor guy meant re-built to start off with we will probably never know because he got ran off, and thats really too bad I thought this site was for b.s' ing not putting people down and yes pablo whether or not someone works for the railroad IS RELEVENT because people dont know the half of what goes on out here.

#251898  by pablo

True, people working for the railroad really do know what goes on...but how many people do you know that you work with whose head is up their...um...well, you know...?

Employment with a railroad or related business doesn't suddenly provide you with common sense.

Dave Becker

#252232  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey, GN, I envy you, getting to run some "real" locos. I am stuck with these "great pumpkins" every day, and I am beginning to hate coming to work, just to see another set of these junkers. What I wouldn't give, for half a dozen of those Geeps, or perhaps four tunnel motors, three conventional cab SD-60's, four SD-40's.................. :-D

#252236  by MEC407

Hey GA... come work for Pan Am... all we've got is Geeps as far as the eye can see. :-D

#252241  by GOLDEN-ARM

Yeah, you got those geeps, but you also got snow............. :( This Fla., boy is gonna stay south, for the time being. :-D :-D

#252614  by GN 599

Yeah golden arm it was a good day. :-D They assign all kinds of GP's to our garbage trains, nothin like a GP38-2 at 60mph in run 8. Some were ex Frisco some original BN. Even had an ex Q GP40 but I know how you guys like to get techincal so we'll call it a GP40M. I get pretty tired of Pumpkins, getting to run all that ''older'' stuff is a breath of fresh air. :-D

#257045  by Nelson Bay

Conrail wrote:HERE is MORE proof that nrelane WAS correct! http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=147271
This is to all of you Disrespecters. LEARN YOUR MANNERS!!!
YOU DISGUST ME.
I, for one, "disrespected" nrelane when, on another post (Subject: AR10 Alignment) he said "HE" was building GP38-2's but needed info on AR10/engine alignment and air compressor thrust. To me, that's like someone claiming to be a farmer asking if he needs soil. Because of this, in my "mannerless", "disgusting" way, yeah I disrespected him.

#257117  by pablo

Learn my manners? I disgust you?

Another on the long list of things that are wrong with society: foamers that babble about things that they don't really know. And while I'm at it, would it be so hard for people to learn how to communicate effectively?

If he's run off, then all the better for us left here. Hopefully, Conrail, you'll head out too.

Dave Becker