Railroad Forums 

• GP38-2 271

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #119967  by mainline

Unfortunately the mural on the 271 has been painted over. Asked a few employees regarding this and nobody knew why. 271 is with the 151 and 156 dead at FP.

#120039  by CR6618

Fred got tired of the mural.

#120088  by tushykushy

I for one don't understand why they got rid of it. It's something patriotic, it symbolized 9/11. If anything, use the paint where it was needed *cough* 268 *cough* with it's junk.

I heard it's a real "201" job they did on it. Not even the right shade of green!

#120315  by jayrmli

It's the right shade of green, however we have to remember the engine was painted almost 4 years ago, so the paint has oxidized. All they did was paint over the mural, so there's a freshly painted green box over it.

Amazing they'd spend precious hours doing that, when there's lots of mechanical work to be done. At least they now have an engine with a freshly painted patch on the deadline, as it hasn't run since. Guess it wasn't the mural that was causing problems after all. lol

Jay

#120318  by SeldenJrFireman

271 is probably the most recognized engine out on the rails today (on LI). I don't know why they would paint over it, it seems so stupid to have done that. I hope they plan on replacing it with the same thing or some other mural.

"fred got tired of the mural"

I really hope that is not true.

Mike

#120345  by CR6618

SeldenJrFireman wrote:"fred got tired of the mural"

I really hope that is not true.

Mike
Call the railroad and find out why. They won't bite your head off.

#120361  by Long island Joe

I Like To See RMLI Get One of The GP38s Maybe 268 or 270.

i'm just saying.

#120363  by Long Island 7285

LI joe,

RMLI will need all 4 to make 1 good one and 1 static one :-)

#120642  by LIRRNOVA55

. . . . .could they possibly be redoing it?

#120846  by Mr GP10

why would the NYA do something like that to repaint the 271 blocking out the Murals of 9/11? god forbid they would have repainted the L&I SW1200s and the 201 will the 156 ever see NYA green/white will that engine ever run again lets see other then the 201 going to scrap what else is going to join the 201? any takers?

#124947  by badneighbor

If link works, this is 271 with no mural...

Railpictures.net killed my shot.

#125552  by mutz155

THAT'S ABOUT PAR. MOST PEOPLE ARE TIRED OF FRED.
 #125579  by de402

personally, didn't really care much about the mural... graffitti is graffitt IMHO.

I want to know when the NYA is gonna get some better power? Its not a good sign when paint is all that is holding the stuff together just so you can get the jobs out on the road done. Only three decent engines? When I'm on Parson's Archer I'll start panhandling for ye.
Last edited by de402 on Mon May 09, 2005 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#125614  by LIRRNOVA55

to bad they cant lease some P&W GE's. . .use them as unofficial B units. . keep a geep or MP in the lead bc of the ASC. .

#125641  by M1 9147

Just remember, not only does 271 have its recognition of the engine used to having its mural of 9-11, but before NYA acquired it from the LIRR, it has a funky type of K5 horn that is not totally configured as such, but a couple of chimes sticking totally outward in a wierd way giving it a wierd sound as well.