Railroad Forums 

• GP-7 + FM Trainmaster

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#211806  by DocJohn

When I lived in Raritan (late 1970 to early 1978), one would sometimes see a GP-7 and a GP-40P mu'ed together either one at either end of the train when there was no cab car or both at one end with a cab car at the other (the one time I was on the CNJ when the train derailed, there was a GP-7 and GP-40P pushing). Did CNJ do the same thing with the Trainmasters before they were replaced by the GP-40Ps?

DocJohn
 #212166  by atlpete

Good question, I have never seen any evidence of TM's in that sort of consist, all photos of the TM hauled trains I've seen post-Aldene plan have the cab cars or a plain coach at the other end . Also given their size and power I've wondered why the GP40P's were doubled up with the GP7's as well, perhaps they didn't accelerate as fast as the TM's? a shortage of cab cars? fewer but heavier trains to Newark after '67?

#213879  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

FM's did not come equipped with MU equipment.
 #213884  by Ken S.

atlpete wrote:Good question, I have never seen any evidence of TM's in that sort of consist, all photos of the TM hauled trains I've seen post-Aldene plan have the cab cars or a plain coach at the other end . Also given their size and power I've wondered why the GP40P's were doubled up with the GP7's as well, perhaps they didn't accelerate as fast as the TM's? a shortage of cab cars? fewer but heavier trains to Newark after '67?
CNJ only had 4 cab cars.
 #215621  by DocJohn

Two questions:

If the Trainmasters were not equipped for MU, how did they handle the push-pull of the Aldene plan.

Pictures I took in 1958 as well as other pictures show what appear to be the electrical jumpers and air lines typical for MU capability. Were such fixtures non-operational?

DocJohn

#216226  by atlpete

No doubt they were mu'd, there are various photos of them together in solid two and three unit consists and at least one photo mu'd with an RS3 in Bill Brennan's two books on the CNJ, I think I've even seen video of them hooked up with one of the SD-35's as well as a mixed consist of Reading units too. As to your original query I would conclude that the TM's were gone (sometime around 1969 /delivery of the GP40P's) before units on each end became a regularly utilized set-up on the CNJ. Likewise I have read the delivery of the GP40P's hastened the sale of the TM's per orders of the bankruptcy court at the time.

#217193  by Camelback

What I've read is that shortly after the Aldene plan went into effect the CNJ hired a new superintendent of motive power, a B&O man. His first move was to scrap the Trainmasters and acquire GP40's. All of the Trainmasters went to Napranos within a couple of months. Too bad they couldn't have preserved one of them.

I have seen pictures of Trainmasters going up and down the Aldene ramp, so they were used on post-Aldene commuter runs.