Railroad Forums 

• Gov't Center Closure 2014 Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1375250  by Arlington

Seems to me the "tagline" under the station name should read:

Government Center
City Hall Plaza - Scollay Square
 #1375803  by Type 7 3684

Diverging Route wrote:
Type 7 3684 wrote:Apparently B trains will continue to terminate at Park Street after Government Center reopens.
Will D/Riverside trains continue to Lechmere midday?
D trains haven't gone to Lechmere since 2004. If North Station is what you mean, I believe D trains will continue serving North Station midday/weekends and terminate at Park during rush hour
 #1375844  by CRail

Why would they terminate at Park Street and loop Government Center out of service?

Boston College trains will in fact remain at Park Street, Riverside service will return to Government Center full time, and Park Street westbound will remain in its current configuration (the D and E berths will not be swapped back to how they were).
 #1375867  by Type 7 3684

The MBTA told me via twitter that the D line will remain its current destinations. I personally think it's a good idea for the D line to terminate at Government Center, if it terminated at North Station then it would cause congestion.
 #1375875  by Echo33d

Perhaps there was some confusion due to the fact that, operationally, they are keeping the current peak service patterns. D branch trains have been looping at Government Center in the peak this whole time; only B trains have been looping at Park.
 #1376287  by FatNoah

That's just the ribbon cutting, I'd expect it to be open at the start of service. They did the same thing with Assembly Sq.
Rode through today at 9:00am on the way to Lechmere. The train announced the stop and we went very slowly through the station, but we didn't actually stop. I did see a construction worker practically running with piece of some kind of panelling to install held over his head. I imaging they'll be putting finishing touches on things for a little while after the station officially opens.
 #1376346  by fishmech

Attended the opening ceremony. Was pretty nice and crowded. When we got to go down to the Green Line platform level, there was a bunch of tables set up with free doughnuts, cookies, muffins and water bottles. I then got to ride the first westbound Green Line departure from the new platforms - it ran just to Park Street and then switched to being marked as a D train that continued in regular service.

All in all, pretty neat.

There was a nice custom sign message up on the entry level as well: http://i.imgur.com/XnRPPP2.jpg
 #1376412  by StefanW

One of the aspects of the station design that's truly amazing is the amount of natural light that's able to come down to the Green Line platforms. The glass blocks inset in the floor of the fare-gate level are a big part of it, plus the perforated metal used on the staircase risers, but the real stunner is above the Eastbound Green Line platform. While waiting for a North Station / Lechmere train you can look up and see sky through the "glass box" ceiling. Even though the Westbound Green Line platform doesn't have the same thing above it, the white wall tiles plus the glossy floors do a great job of carrying the natural light throughout the majority of the Green Line level.