Railroad Forums 

• Google Earth & Abandoned Lines

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#752022  by MaineCoonCat

First, my apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. When Google "finds out" that a line has been abandoned, they remove the trace line that marks the route from Google Earth (and maps). I'm hoping to get them to at least retain this data in a separate layer as a "historical record" of the route. I'd appreciate all the support for this I can get. Google Earth's support forum is at http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/e ... 84cc&hl=en Please, let's not lose this valuable railroad history.
 #840368  by darthdoosh

Wow, I've never seen all the abandoned rails of Long Island so nicely laid out.

Although now I have to ask... I see a spur just north of the Gibson station on the LIRR Far Rockaway branch. I'm pretty familiar with that area and heard of freight spurs on it, but I never thought of one there... certainly no trace of it now. Anyone know the story behind it?