Railroad Forums 

• Goodbye to Hollis & Eastern?

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#615420  by BR&P

H&E's traffic (sheetrock) reported to be way down with the housing business in the tank. The line is owned by their major shipper, who wants to divest. This is not official, but reliable sources indicate WATCO might possibly acquire it as an extension to their Stillwater Central RR.
 #616482  by Otto Vondrak

BR&P wrote:H&E's traffic (sheetrock) reported to be way down with the housing business in the tank. The line is owned by their major shipper, who wants to divest. This is not official, but reliable sources indicate WATCO might possibly acquire it as an extension to their Stillwater Central RR.
Where is the Hollis & Eastern located?
 #616520  by BR&P

Southwestern Oklahoma, running from a connection with Stillwater Central RR and with Farmrail in Altus OK, westward to Duke OK.
 #616578  by TB Diamond

Was in the Altus, OK area in the Spring of 1983 and attempted to catch the H&E in operation. Did not nor did I even locate their locomotive. Came to the conclusuion that same was kept indoors either at Altus or at the big facility on the Duke end.

Can you confirm, BR&P?
 #616664  by BR&P

I can't confirm one way or the other, but will ask some questions next time I have the chance. I believe the power is kept at Duke. The closest I worked was Snyder OK, also a FMRC/Stillwater Central connection but about 25 miles east of Altus. Actually drove to Altus one time, but found BNSF had not pulled the interchange and the cars we needed to switch were blocked in so we drove away again without leaving the air-conditioned company truck - thankfully.
 #617521  by BR&P

To correct my own post, the H&E's shortline connection in Altus is not with Stillwater Central but rather with Wichita Tillman and Jackson RR. Also a BNSF interchange is listed. "Sorry 'bout that!"