Railroad Forums 

• Good Toledo Observation Sites?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#173742  by ToledoRailFan

First post here.. but yea...
I'm a student at UT - love the atmosphere of being around all of the trains. I haven't quite found any good places to go trainwatching around here, though. I used to live ~ 100 feet from the Conrail line that runs throuch campus when I lived in the dorms, but that's not a very active line anymore. I drive through the railyard off of Westwood every time I go through the area, but have yet to get out and watch anything. Is it a safe practice to do, or am I going to stir up anything like a trespassing complaint or such?

Are there any other good areas to go trainwatching around here? I have looked around, but can't seem to find any.

~D.J.~

#173980  by chessie8212

Toledo's a little tricky. There aren't many places within the city that the tracks go that are also friendly places. Usually, your best bet is to head just out of the city. These are a few of the places I've gone without being hassled.

Vickers - In Northwood at the corner of Wales and Drouillard. Good view of the the NS Chicago Line and CSX from Walbridge crossing.

Railside Park - In Walbridge off of Main St. This gives you a view of the north end of Walbridge Yard.

Friendship Park - Just south of Walbridge on Drouillard Rd. This isn't the best place, but you can get close to the tracks of Walbridge Yard and any northbound traffic.

Millbury - Park located near 795 and N. Fostoria Rd. NS Chicago line runs across the north end of the park.

Holland - Small railfan "park" on Halloway Road just north of Airpot Hwy.

Perrysburg - Anywhere along 3rd Street in Perrysburg will offer places to see CSX.

Swanton - Park on South Fulton-Lucas Road north of Rt 2. Right next to the NS Chicago Line.

Wauseon - My favorite place to burn a few hours. Railfan park at the old LS&MS depot. Located, easily enough, on Depot St. Once you get into Wauseon on Rt. 2, there are signs to follow.

Not all of those places are busy, most of them are hit or miss, except Vickers. Wauseon is fairly busy as well if you catch NS during a good time. They run that line with bunches of trains with lulls in between that can last a couple hours.

#228601  by esprrfan

Sumner street bridge just west of the station is pretty decent though pictures of E/Bs is a little hard. The area isn't too bad, I never had any problems there.

Springfield Meadows shopping plaza is nice too there is a big parking lot that will put you like 50' from the NS east, west main plus there are plenty of fast food (restrooms) close by too!