Railroad Forums 

• Going Hi-rail

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#321251  by shay

My husband and I own a "crane truck" used in the katrina clean up. Now that work has slowed down we have done some hauling for the RR but have found out that we could get steady work if we go "highrail" .. we have looked into the expense around 45,000 to get the highrail and revamp the truck. my question: can anyone tell me about requirements from the RR to work highrail, insurance cost, etc .. anything would be appreciated.

thanks,

Shay

#321331  by crazy_nip

I dont know about insurance, but whomever "drives" the hi-rail has to pass the railroads rule tests the same as the road crews/MOW, etc have to, you will probabally have to get a vhf radio compatible with their road frequency

#321366  by Aji-tater

In most cases you would not be turned loose on the tracks by yourself, the railroad would assign an employee who is qualified on the rules to be with you and oversee your movements. The insurance requirements would be up to the particular railroad you are contracting with.

#321788  by GOLDEN-ARM

45 Grand? You might look in some railroad equipment classifieds, and see the complete truck, ready to roll, for less than that. That's a lot of bucks, for high-rail gear, to be sure..............

#321834  by pennsy

Hi Shay,

I think it would be appropriate here to step back a bit and consider what you have already done.

A very sincere, and humble, THANK YOU, is definitely in order here. You are one of an amazing few that first, gave a damn, and second, did something to improve an imposssible situation, frought with extreme danger and hazard both to yourselves and your equipment. So, more power to you, best of luck in your future endeavors in these areas of great need. And hopefully you will succeed in helping many, many others. Again, THANK YOU.

#322251  by Aji-tater

GA, it sounds like she's got a pretty large truck. You can get pickups with rail gear a lot cheaper but the larger setups for big trucks can get expensive. Also she said "and revamp the truck". So to buy the gear, have it installed and calibrated right, plus whatever other changes they want to make, $45,000 may not be too far off.

It's feast or famine, sometimes you can find a great buy for next to nothing. But most often there is a reason the railroad or contractor is selling off a truck. The last thing she needs is to wind up with somebody else's problems.

Shay, GA is right regarding shopping around - do your homework before you buy and you may get lucky. My guess is you're going to spend that much anyway whether it's on your present truck or a different one which may need some fixin'. It never hurts to look.