Railroad Forums 

• Going Back in Time

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1590153  by New Haven 1

Last weekend while travelling back from Worcester with my brother, on a whim since it was about time anyway, I suggested we stop at the Steaming Tender for some lunch. I had no idea about the treat we were about to see while there. Aside from hearing power idling in the New England central yard, ( We never did venture over to se what it was} shortly after getting out of our vehicle we looked east to see what turned out to be the Lake Shore limited whizzing by at speed. I fortunately was proactive enough to pull my cell out and got a nice but brief video of it.

We also saw some power sitting in the interchange yard for the Mass Central but, as it was too far away and he had his headlights on, we couldn't even make out what road it was. After being seated at w window seat in the restaurant, we got to se up close after only sitting for perhaps 5 minutes. 2 Very clean CSX GP40's hitched in the typical back to back came rumbling by. I didn't keep count but, a guess says about 15 cars passed before the train stopped and, then reversed. We finished our meal and went back to our vehicle to see the units again sitting way down in the interchange yard. Something told me to wait a couple of extra minutes before leaving which paid dividends. The same units again started heading towards us so, out came the cell phone. With minimal effort the 2 Geeps got what turned out to be a 53 car train up to speed heading west on the main towards Springfield. I put the title above because of what this train turned out to be. It was a mixed freight with 4 axle power on the B&A. Not only that a number of the cars were newer while others were older with the typical rust you see meaning there was almost no graffiti on the consist! What a treat! I miss the days when you didn't have to put up the scribblings of people desperate for attention.

I could not have asked for a better way to end the day and, now I can watch it again.

I would share but, it is too large.
 #1590154  by GaryGP40

I am glad the Steaming Tender is still around. I love it there! I had a treat last time I was at the Big-E the LSL went by (towards Boston) and there was motive power idling on the NEC just past the restaurant. There was also a CSX freight headed towards Albany/Springfield.

I thought about that place and wondered how they were doing with Covid, etc. Sounds like that's still a trip back there for me in the (hopefully) near future. Oh yes, I had my camera out when I was there too!
 #1590314  by taracer

Yes defiantly the local in this case, although your chances of seeing an 88 hundred series number (SD40-2) on point are increasing due to over-tonnage and engine failures.