Railroad Forums 

• Goggle fog

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1573003  by trainhorn2021

Hey all. Happy Sunday.

So I passed my classroom
Tests and started my ojt last week as a FC! Really enjoying it so far.

Except I have a major issue.

The company provides eye protection wear. I use a bump cap. When I’m out working I sweat and it drips down and fogs the goggle all day and I cannot see.

I went and bought a better pair and still same issue.

I tried a hard hat and still same issue.

I think I’m sweating a lot just due to not doing this type of work but it really is bad because I can’t fully see and can’t take off
The glasses.

Any advice or suggestions? Do I need to wear a bandana or something under my hat?

Good set of goggles maybe that you can recommend?

Thnx
 #1573711  by atsf sp

Fogging up on glasses is horrible. For me it happened usually when it was raining. Sucks when you are riding a shove and you fog up but can't take off your goggles because a trainmaster may be watching and it could be your job.

My company provided us anti-fog wipes in the ready packs. They worked to an extent. You apply it before wearing the goggles. Look like a sani wipe you get at a BBQ restaurant. May also be the goggles. I liked the looser fitting ones that look like actual glasses. Just have to be careful to make sure they are approved by your railroad before buying them. They can get expensive and you don't want to waste the money. My company approved any PPE from ORR. https://www.orrsafety.com/catalog/ORR/P ... Protection This site has both goggles and also the anti-fog wipes. They also have goggles specifically designed for anti-fog. May want to carry something you can easily wipe with i.e. bandana. I also used my gloves. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.