Railroad Forums 

• GO TRANSIT RAIL - 40th Anniversary on May 23,2007

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#386916  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: GO TRANSIT RAIL in Toronto will reach their 40th Anniversary on May 23,2007. Back on the morning of May 23,1967 the first GO TRANSIT RAIL trains ran on what would become the Lakeshore Line. This line was actually an experiment which was an overwhelming success almost from the start. GO TRANSIT did commemorate their 25th anniversary back in 1992 so I wonder if GO plans to commemorate their 40th Anniversary-a milestone that they should be proud of. If anyone has access or knows of any special events for this occasion please post it here for everyone's information. Thanks in advance to all - MACTRAXX

#399686  by Tadman

1967? Doesn't that make GO one of the first governmental commuter systems? I think LIRR was bought by the gov't around 1961, and SEPTA predecessors started funding silverliner purchases around 1964, but that's about it. I know in Chicago the Rock and GM&O were still runnning trains that looked like they were stored in Berlin between 1942 and 1945 (read: beat to h***).

#400064  by Ken V

With only a week left to go there is little in the way of fanfare. Other than a monthly pass contest that started a week ago, I've heard nothing.

Oh, the Go Transit website home page did change today with a photo of one of the first trains in 1967 replacing the former main graphic.

#403300  by MACTRAXX

Ken V and all: In GO Transit's Website I found under Customer News and Media then Info for the Media I found PDFs for advisories and news releases dated May 18,22.23; Ontario MTO dated 5/23,Backgrounder and a PDF for a 40th Anniversary GO news letter. The link to the page-that include a couple of pictures is: http://WWW.GOTRANSIT.COM/PUBLIC/NEWS/ME ... ERSARY.HTM MACTRAXX