Railroad Forums 

• Globe article: East-West Rail

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1618393  by Cosmo

There’s momentum at last for East-West Rail, but Postal Service still stands in the way
"After years of being stuck on the siding, East-West Rail sure seems like it’s on the right track now. ...

But there’s one big obstacle no one seems to be talking about: the US Postal Service’s sprawling mail-sorting complex along the Fort Point Channel. State officials can do all the track and station work they want out west. With the massive USPS facility blocking a South Station expansion in Boston, East-West Rail could be going nowhere."
 #1618422  by BandA

If they want to increase throughput on the SPG-WOR-FRA-BOS line without expanding BOS, implement layover, mid-day layover, fueling, cleaning at the Beacon Park tracks that the MBTA now owns but has never used, and make say tracks 1-3 dedicated to SPG, WOR, FRA, or Riverside service. If it still won't fit, terminate the trains at BBY or Kendall Square on the Grand Junction.
 #1618430  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

This is why Widett circle has been selected as the new area for a facility, its less than a mile from SS. Easily get trains in and out of SS with ease if the Post Office continues to be stubborn and not vacate the area. Going to the former Beacon Park is a 4 mile trip
 #1618474  by mbrproductions

If they want to increase throughput on the SPG-WOR-FRA-BOS line without expanding BOS
Expanding South Station is a good idea either way, especially since East-West Rail isn't the only major rail expansion that is due to originate from there in the coming years (South Coast Rail).
Unfortunately, I believe the Postal Service has already announced that they do not want to move. I want South Station to go as close to its former 26 track glory as possible, but unless the feds get involved, I don't know if its even possible.
 #1618479  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

BandA wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:08 pm Widett Circle requires trains to cut across all the NEC tracks, so approach congestion is not addressed.
you've said this several times in other topics, it doesn't matter. Takes a train 2 mins to clear TOWER 1 and there you go, NEC available to all again
 #1618483  by Red Wing

Or instead of adding tracks at the Post Office, put in the North South Rail link since through stations are always faster at cycling trains than terminals.
 #1618514  by CRail

That already didn't happen, so instead of beating a fossilized horse let's stay on topic.
 #1618544  by BandA

Why is this split off from the main topic (and the post for the globe article left in the main article?) South Station capacity is on-topic for East West Rail project, and the Globe agrees. Just turn the trains at BBY & let folks figure out how to get to downtown.
 #1618546  by BandA

And I've said this before too; MA aks feds for a grant to pay USPS to move. US Treasury prints another pile of money, hands it to MA, MA hands it to USPS, USPS hands it to the US Treasury towards unfunded pension liability.
 #1618569  by R36 Combine Coach

BandA wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:09 pm And I've said this before too; MA aks feds for a grant to pay USPS to move. US Treasury prints another pile of money, hands it to MA, MA hands it to USPS, USPS hands it to the US Treasury towards unfunded pension liability.
USPS is a self-supporting agency, other than the pension programs, it could in theory cover a new facility itself.
 #1618577  by CRail

BandA wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:56 pm Why is this split off from the main topic (and the post for the globe article left in the main article?) South Station capacity is on-topic for East West Rail project, and the Globe agrees. Just turn the trains at BBY & let folks figure out how to get to downtown.
Nothing is split off another topic, this thread was started for the article. It will likely end up merged with the East-West rail thread. As for the article in that thread, ask the poster.

The Globe does not get a vote in what gets discussed here, however what was called off topic for this thread was mention of North-South rail link.
 #1618606  by BandA

I actually agree for once; adding the Tunnel that Should Not Be Named would add about 10 years to this project.
 #1618628  by CRail

In fact, my biggest beef with Big Dig 2.0 is that it would burn up all the political fuel for South Station expansion. I'm all for adding service and building [back] out infrastructure to do it. I'm vehemently against spending exorbitant funds and suffering through another decade or more of crippling urban mobility impacts to "reimagine" the service we already have.
 #1618636  by rethcir

The I-90 straightening job out in Allston is shaping up to be Big Dig 2.0 (yet another thing Charlie punted to future leadership rather than fixing), and the way things are going I doubt there will be any political will for that or for a 3.0 (that which shall not be named)