Railroad Forums 

• Gladstone line closed until Tue after the storm

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1367914  by bharatrao

So finally we're told the Gladstne line will come back to life on Tue...so no service on Mon. Saw a couple of trains go up and down...one of the MTD sets appeared to be doing plowing duty. Wonder what they found to suspend service fr another day.
 #1368127  by oknazevad

It may not have to do with the tracks. Even something as simple as the parking lots being too icy and unsafe to drive in and to could close the stations, which would make service on the line pointless as no passengers can get to the trains. May also see it as a good way to conserve rolling stock while the dig out the MMC.
 #1368839  by F40

All of LIRR's lines were not running on Monday either, though most were. As the previous poster suggested, the parking may not have been in good shape, also the sidewalks may not have been cleared. Even though there was a whole day to plow before rush hour on Monday, you had to expect a lot more traffic or "choke points." There were still many areas where for example, on a 2 lane ramp, one lane suddenly disappears because the plow did not quite reach across the whole roadway yet. I traveled on campus to Rutgers that Monday and aside from the above icky areas on the road, the parking lot was a disaster. Fortunately I found a spot (along with a colleague) in about 15 minutes. One should not have expected a perfect commute.
 #1368841  by bharatrao

Agree...didn't expect a perfect commute. I was just curious about what it is about the Gladstone line which prevented its opening on Mon (anytime on Mon)....when practically all other lines were running albeit with delays. Was it a case of prioritization, crew issues, platform/parking plowing or something else.