Railroad Forums 

• Ghosts and railroads.

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#820960  by scharnhorst

M.P. 309 just around the curve to the west of Bonta Bridge Road in Weedsport, NY. I young man was killed there back in the mid to late 80's when he was out with a group of friends drinking after granduation he passed out drunk on Track 1 and was killed by an East Bound Conrail train. If I rember correctley his name was Mark. It can get vary creepy up there at night and at times you'll feel as thow someone is watching you if your there alone.

Also father down the line at Fox Ridge Road on the Cayuga County Side down at the main railroad Bridge over the Seneca River a young Girl was killed while walking across the bridge she almost made it. But some how the railing on the East bound Conrail train snaged on to her long hair as it was blowing in the wind and she was draged and sucked under the locomotive. This event took place in the early 90's shortley before the 1995 Fox Ridge derailment. I had have storys of a girl in white moveing across the bridge late at night. I my self can't say that I have seen anything yet in all my years railfaning out there.
 #822211  by Gilbert B Norman

Isn't the term "ghosts" usually in reference to fictitious employees.

At least that was the case 'back in my day" with the industry (1970-81).
 #1009340  by Desertdweller

When I was working on the shortline serving Borger, TX, we would often hear a train whistling in the distance west of us, always after dark. Borger is located on a high bluff overlooking the Canadian River in the Texas Panhandle.

The nearest railroad line to Borger is the BNSF main line 30 miles to the south. This is too far away to be heard.

But, the Rock Island had a line that crossed the river at Fritch, about seven miles to the west, and ran south to Amarillo. Our railroad was former Santa Fe, and ran south to the main line at Panhandle. Although it would have been easy to connect the two railroads, this connection was never built. The Rock Island line had been torn up before I got there in 1994, but the roadbed and old ties survived.

So, whenever we heard the "ghost train" whistling in the distance, we would look at each other and say, "there goes the Rock Island, leaving town!"

Les
 #1021831  by CSX4617

Desertdweller wrote:When I was working on the shortline serving Borger, TX, we would often hear a train whistling in the distance west of us, always after dark. Borger is located on a high bluff overlooking the Canadian River in the Texas Panhandle.

The nearest railroad line to Borger is the BNSF main line 30 miles to the south. This is too far away to be heard.

But, the Rock Island had a line that crossed the river at Fritch, about seven miles to the west, and ran south to Amarillo. Our railroad was former Santa Fe, and ran south to the main line at Panhandle. Although it would have been easy to connect the two railroads, this connection was never built. The Rock Island line had been torn up before I got there in 1994, but the roadbed and old ties survived.

So, whenever we heard the "ghost train" whistling in the distance, we would look at each other and say, "there goes the Rock Island, leaving town!"

Les
Wow! Very eerie indeed! (Sorry for the month-old response, I'm fairly new to this site, and there's so much to do, see, and explore!)
 #1023292  by CSX4617

Aji-tater wrote:"Wow! Very eerie indeed!"

No, not Erie, Rock Island! :P
LOL