Railroad Forums 

• GG1 returns to Baltimore.

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#12838  by Class1railroader

The GG1 you saw belongs to the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, awaiting restoration on CSX property. CSX is a/the primary sponsor of the museum. I believe the number of the unit is 4876? I am thinking this is the locomotive that was on point of The Congressional that crashed into Washington Union Station in the 1950's just prior to a presidential inaugaration. This locomotive has been there at least since mid-2001 when I was in the area.

#12980  by Trainheartedguy

that is the one that was at the point of the congressional in the DC wreck in '52. it is owned by the B&O Museum, and it has been there so long it seems to have rusted to the rails as I have been told. It doesn't sound as if restoration has ever been given a proposal, but it is a long.......long, long term goal, along with the other rolling stock.
 #13919  by chuchubob

Yes, it is 4876, the one that took the Congressional into Washington Union Station in January 1953.
 #13926  by walt

chuchubob wrote:Yes, it is 4876, the one that took the Congressional into Washington Union Station in January 1953.
Actually, the train was the overnight Boston- Washington "Federal". A malfunctioning angle cock on the third of the New Haven passenger cars in the consist prevented the brakes on all of the cars behind the third car from being applied. The effect of all of this was that No. 4876 and the first three cars, whose brakes did take hold essentially skidded into Union Station being pushed by the rear 13 cars whose brakes did not take hold.

What is happening to No. 4876 where it is now is a crime!
 #14406  by chuchubob

Thanks for the correction, Walt.

My two photos of 4877 were of a circle trip Philly-Perryville-Harrisburg-Philly. I took the family to Strasburg (from South Jersey) and stopped at the South Street Bridge to photograph 4877 and 4876,

http://community.webshots.com/photo/286 ... NcCOOvucXf

http://community.webshots.com/photo/286 ... FXNdSsjFCn

then we stopped at Lancaster after riding the Strasburg RR for another photo.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/290 ... uiYPPAeylL

#14539  by walt

It is ironic that #4876 in Chuchubob's photo is in its post PRR paint scheme---- Originally it was Brunswick Green, but when it was rebuilt after the 1953 wreck, it was painted tuscan red. It would have been a perfect match for #4877 in that photo if it had retained the PRR paint scheme!

There is more to the story of the wreck of the Federal which involved #4876---- the angle cock problem actually first surfaced somewhere in Rhode Island and delayed the train for about one hour. The crew eventually got the valve to release and the train proceeded on to New Haven where it changed from the Diesels to a New Haven Electric. Unfortunately the new engine crew was not advised of the problem, and the PRR crew which took over at New York was not advised either. On the PRR, the train made all of its scheduled stops, including Baltimore, with no problem. However, as we know, the angle cock jammed again just outside DC and the rest, as they say, is history. Following the wreck, all of the New Haven passenger cars of the type which made up the consist of the Federal were withdrawn from service until the design flaw ( which involved the location of the angle cock) was corrected.

#14638  by Trainheartedguy

In talking with an AMTRAK employee at the BRRM, he stated the valve cock on the ACELA, at least at that point (about 6 months ago) had no way to secure it in one position or the other, so there is a slight chance this may happen again.

If you look at the photos of the wreck, its amazing that there were no fatalities. From a video interview with the fireman of that run, he stated he thought the worst injury had been a broken hip. He and the engineer were almost arrested by the FBI within minutes because of a fear in DC that it was a (get this) Terrorist attack.

#14861  by walt

Trainheartedguy wrote: If you look at the photos of the wreck, its amazing that there were no fatalities. From a video interview with the fireman of that run, he stated he thought the worst injury had been a broken hip. He and the engineer were almost arrested by the FBI within minutes because of a fear in DC that it was a (get this) Terrorist attack.
That's not surprising, remember, that wreck occurred less than one week before the inauguration of President Eisenhower.---- I have read an account of the wreck which indicated that passengers who boarded the rear cars in Baltimore ( as commuters) were not even aware that the train hadwrecked until they got out of it---- they merely thought that the stop was "a little" rough!