Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #328092  by Tadman

I noticed the ex-GN motors that PRR bought had traction motors that operate on 1500vDC. Does this mean they could be operated under 1500vDC catenary such as that on CSS if the wiring from pans to transformer was shorted, and fed directly into the motors, thus feeding 1500vDC direct to motors (or motor control devices such as inverters?)

And does this mean if a GG1 has motors operable on 1500 or or 650v DC, they could be operated under the catenary at CSS or IRM, respectively, if the necessary operating components - motors, controls, pans, running gear - could be effectively restored? I understand one of the largest imepidments to running a G again is the fact Amtrak wouldn't want them on NEC, and the transformers are broken and sometimes filled with sand, because mercury transformers are hazardous now.

I'm no electrician or electrical engineer, but I worked around electric cranes long enough to know just enough to be dangerous.

#328319  by Lucius Kwok

There's not much solid technical information on the GG-1 that I can find, but it seems they used universal motors, so they could run on both AC and DC. The throttle controlled tap changers, and I don't know how they would be controlled in DC mode.

The power draw at full throttle on a GG-1 would probably overwhelm the existing substations, and there may be issues with supporting the weight of a GG-1 on light rails and bridges.

#328534  by Tadman

I think if the motors could handle 1500v, you could short the feed from the pan to transformers directly to the motors, and the rpms of the motors are controlled by having a static stepless system - don't ask me how the hell that works, I just know that's how most DC cranes are controlled. That or run it through a variable path resistor bank. Also, a mainline disconnect between the pans and resistors or induction masters would be necessary. I think by now companies like Drivecon or Magnetek offer a inverter for DC drives and motors, so the 1500v could be fed right in there, with a 110v control circuit like a DC crane in a steel mill. I don't know how hefty the IRM power system is, but I bet the CSS power system could handle it. Especially between Michigan City and Hegewisch. East of MC, the substations are older, and west of Hegewisch the ICG/Metra power system takes over, and I hear the larger trains switch to slow-loading on the motor control system because the system doesn't work as well.

#328612  by pennsy

Hi All,

Needless to say, the bottom line here is MONEY. Given sufficient funds anything is possible, probably not economical , however. What you need is a modern day F. Nelson Blount to step in and DO IT.

#328793  by Tadman

Agreed in full that money is the big issue - however, my intent was to determine if there was a less expensive way to operate a GG1, other than the traditional though of fully restoring the 1934 equipment to factory condition and running it on the NEC. It struck me that inserting modern DC control equipment and running it on a quieter midwestern electric line might be that answer, because the transformers would not have to be dealt with, and the original motors could be used provided they work (betcha Joliet Equipment could make them work if they don't)