Railroad Forums 

• GG-1 vs AEM-7

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#314954  by Bill West

Will, I would be surprised if these papers have been sought out by railfan authors. Besides this one has an obscure title, I only came across it by casual thumbing through 60 volumes of bound journals during several years of lunch hours in the company library. Frankly I think the past quotes are just a bit of pride and a lot of rounding of numbers. Some of the simpler graphs have scales to 10,000 hp and the curves peak in between rather coarse grid lines so in round figures 9300-9600 hp becomes 10,000 hp. I also feel that few professional let alone amateur railroaders would have reason to look closely enough at the way motors perform to correctly read what is the limiting factor for each part of the curves and when have they reached their ceiling.

Secondly, I agree they would not use 27-28% adhesion in 1930-40’s specs even though it can happen in service, GE was using 21% in preparing info for some unidentified engines of the 6000 hp and 7500 hp size at the time. These may be the 7500hp GG-2 and 10,000hp freight electric they mentioned later for extending the wire to Pittsburgh. As the maximum horsepower on an electric is not nearly the rigid figure it is on a diesel you are right that Westinghouse’s sales data sensibly would be figured from operating conditions they thought were everyday realistic. A horsepower figure that is only valid for one speed and tonnage is not very useful.

Dutch, the GG-1’s 8EL brakes were changed to 24RL in the 60’s. There’s a 2-8-0 out there that had it’s 6ET replaced with 26 series just for diesel crew familiarity, non self lapping was a strange concept to too many of them. It was probably the least of the expenses of overhauling the engine that year, it even got a feedwater heater 35 years after steam loco manufacturing had ended. There is a 4-6-4 being overhauled in Western Canada that is getting an event recorder right now. This aspect of the rules looks like a real technology conflict but is fairly easy to deal with. Heck nearly every mainline steamer today MU’s with diesels and it only takes a metal box with some rotary switches. For visibility the GG-1 is not much worse than a long hood geep and as far as engineer space rules are concerned if that Keystone cab car space is legal then I have dog house that ought to qualify too. For HEP the transformer could be put in the steam generator space and a 60hz converter in the water tank space. The premise with this coffee chat after all is that realistic money is not quite the object.

Golden Arm, I think that’s 250 watts for the old lights and your face feels it when you walk past them on a RS-3.

I was just rechecking some notes and realized that the Claymont 64.5 second figure means they reached 100 mph in 0.9 miles, damm that’s fast. It means you could make 100 between stops in local service!

Bill

#314957  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey, I changed enough of them. They said "75" volt, rough service, right on them. Not sealed beams, the old screw in ones, like for your house. (don't bother trying to use them at home, they burn out, in like 8 seconds.............. :P ) No way to walk by those on the G's nose. Just a dim little yellow glow, easily illuminating the right of way, from the comfortable seats, in the spacious, well appointed cab, while looking out the large, clear windows, unobstructed by 32 feet of nose........... :P

#314971  by Noel Weaver

The 24 RL brake WAS a good brake but unfortunately they are today
obselete and have been for some time.
Most of the GG-1's had sealed beam headlights on them in their later
years.
Today a GG-1 would not conform to current agreements for engineers and
I rather doubt that many engineers would want to work on one of the
things. They were equipped with cab signals and speed control but not
the current system that is in use on Amtrak in the north east.
Amtrak, New Jersey Transit, SEPTA and Metro-North are the only
railroads today that still have overhead and it is very unlikely that any of
them would want any part of a locomotive that is hoplessly out of date in
just about every respect.
GET REAL!!!!!
Noel Weaver

#314977  by Bill West

Noel, the signal system would only be a cost item, not a technical limit. NJT can’t be spending that much on their component boxes.
Even greater age and obsolescence is not stopping historical locomotives on BNSF, UP, CP and CN.
NYC Subway, who has more traffic and density than Amtrak, NJT, Septa and MNR combined, has found room to run wooden cars in the 21st century. Public ownership can only increase the consideration allowed.
But yes, the bottom of the 3rd paragraph did say this is a coffee chat.

Bill

#334789  by spRocket

One other possible issue that could make a GG-1's operation even more unlikely today - is 25 Hz current still used anywhere on the NEC? I seriously doubt that a GG-1 could run on anything other than 11 kV/25 Hz.

#334914  by Jtgshu

cab signals wouldn't be that big a deal - remember, NJT's shops at the MMC installed a complete ATC/ATS system on the 614 steamer

Why would train/engine service agreements come into play? its not like it would be used in revenue service on a regular basis. And if the enigneers say on New Jersey Transit wouldn't want to run them (i can think of many, myself included who would LOVE to) they would just have to act as a pilot then for someone who would run it. Thats what they do when there are steam locos run on NJT property at least.

It would be cool if one GG1 "shell" basically, was put over a modern or sort of modern electric locomotive. Of course, many of the components of the GG1 probably wouldn't be able to be used after all these years, but transplant a wrecked AEM7 or even the components of a retired E60 - few of them left - into a shell of a GG1 - and restore teh loco cosmetically - that would be the cheapest and more realistic way, IMO, we would ever see a GG1 run down the rails again.

#336174  by kevikens

To get back to the original question comparing the pereformance of the the two motors there actually was a brief period when G's and Swedish Meatballs ran together on the NEC, in Northern NJ from just south of Eilzabeth to the Hudson Tunnels. I will tell you a story I heard from a former NJT railworker and you can decide for yourself if it is an accurate acount of a meeting between the two locomotives. The way I heard it there was an engineer who had many years behind him handling PRR motors and this man in 1983 was undoubtedly as close to rettirement as the G's he was running on the Noth Coast Line for NJT. He was bringing his commuter consist north from the shore communities and drifted through Rahway onto the NEC when lo and behold he found himself paralleling an AEM 7 with about eight Amcans behind it. Throwing caution to the winds he decided to open up the G and show the midget motor just what a real electric locomotive could do. Whether the Amtrak engineer was playing along or just ignoring that electric dinosaur hauling, of all things some P-70 cars behind it, the two started running neck and neck pounding up the corridor at increasingly higher speeds. The G kept up with the AEM 7 ignoring the stop at Elizabeth and stayed with the Amtrak train right into Newark. I was told that the G was going "well in excess" of 100 mph to do this. The NJT engineer soon retired and shortly afterwards the G's were pulled from service. I am not quite sure it happened this way or even if it did just what it proves except that over a short distance a GG1 could hold its own with the AEM 7. As for restoring one it could be done and if anyone could do it it would be Bennet Levin who has the the facilities and access to parts to pull it off. If he tried it I am sure he would be swamped with volunteer workers helping him. In my opinion the GG1 was the greatest locomotive ever produced, it won WWII for the US and deserves a fate better than sitting idle under a museum roof or train shed watching other trains go by.

#336229  by Nasadowsk

Top speed of a GG-1 was 100, they went to 110 in testing. They'd probbably squirrelcage the TMs anything faster than that, resulting in a high speed derailment.

The AEM-7's continuous max HP is slightly larger, the TE is somewhat lower.

Basically, if you want an equal for a GG-1, look at the ALP-46 or HHP-8.

#336553  by Noel Weaver

The GG-1's that remained at the end of their use with NJT were all geared
for 90 MPH rather than 100 MPH. I have serious doubts of the validity of
this claim.
Noel Weaver