Railroad Forums 

• Getting Rehired with CSX

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1287098  by walker33

I would like to know about getting rehired with CSX. I applied for a Freight Conductor position (Evansville, IN) May 2013 and was invited to a hiring session. About 2 days after going to the hiring session I received the call that I was hired. I passed my physical and the other test for this position. I had to call HR and let them know that I couldn’t accept the position because my fiance’ backed out of moving to Evansville. I have since left this person and am no longer engaged to her. Since then I have applied and reapplied for Freight Conductor positions with CSX and have not be selected. My question is can I ever be rehired or am I wasting my time?
Thanks in advance.
 #1287216  by slchub

All you can do is keep trying. I cannot say that you will or will not get picked up.

More than likely you have been blacklisted with CSX as you have shown that you were not willing to drop everything and get into railroad mode. The railroad is more than a job or career. It is a lifestyle that will either make you or break you. The railroad is a 24/7/365 gig. You obligate yourself to be on call after your federally mandated rest periods are fulfilled. If crew wants you to report to work at 0200 and you miss taking little Jimmy to his first day at school so be it. That 10 year anniversary with the wife. Maybe not. Schedule an appointment with the dentist 6 months from now. Go ahead but you'll no doubt be at the away from home terminal or called to work the morning of the appointment with no way to let the dentist know that you will not show up and have a $35.00 no-show fee billed to you.

Negative sounding? Yeah, well. That's the railroad life. The truth hurts but the rewards of a decent living and benefits have their drawbacks.
 #1287236  by Desertdweller

The wife has to take a backseat to the railroad. That is just the way it is.

Try another railroad.

You have to consider the railroad's side of this. What if, after the railroad has spent tens of thousands of dollars training you, the wife decides she isn't going to move, and it's her or the railroad. You have already shown how that would go.

Believe me, there are a lot of women who would put up with all the crap to be a railroader's wife. They think we get paid like surgeons.

Maybe she will marry someone who sells screws at the hardware store.

Les
 #1287271  by walker33

Thank you guys for answering my questions. I am no longer with her because of this decision. I have been working 2 jobs for the past 4 years trying to make a living. I know what it is like to work long hours.to be on-call and not having any free time or time to do anything. Also, I have gone to school part-time and I have accomplished getting my Bachelor's degree. All I ask for is another chance with CSX. If any of you guys knows a recruiter in Evansville IN or another city that would give me another chance could you have them email me? The railroad lifestyle is the lifestyle that I would like to have because you are rewarded for your hard work and dedication.

Thank You in advance
 #1287288  by Freddy

Same thing happened to me in 90. She didn't want to move. With 15 years service I wasn't about to stay. I absolutely knew from the git-go without question what I had to do. I went, she didn't. I had a Roadmaster give me some decent advice, when making the decisions, about who does what,when and where, look at who makes the bigger paycheck. Sometimes at a young age you have to make hard decisions devoid of emotion, both on and off the job, and you always have to look toward the future about how changes that are coming now will impact you down the road. Like the 1 guy in the engine thingy.
 #1287296  by COEN77

It's was a "fiance' " not a "wife". Big difference. A lot of us had to make difficult decisions. My 2nd wife who I dated for 2 years never living together before getting married wanted me to take a buy-out in '88 from the railroad because after 20 months of marraige she couldn't handle it and stated she needed a 9-5 husband. I told her don't let the door hit you in the arse while leaving. No regrets even though she was a good person. When asking her why she knew what I did for a living before getting married what changed, the response was when I told her I couldn't come over and needed to get some rest she thought I was just making up an excuse to go party with friends. LOL!
 #1291449  by Knucklehead

GOOD LUCK!!!

I worked for CSX for 7 months and had to resign for a non-work related medical issue, which required several appointments a week for several weeks to rectify (I didn't have the time to take off as I was new). The issue has been resolved and have medical clearance and I applied several times to hire on again since. I keep getting the message" We have had the opportunity to review your work history and qualifications for the position of Freight Conductor- XXXXXXX. While your background is impressive, we have chosen to pursue other candidates whose skills more closely match the position." MORE CLOSELY MATCH THE POSITION? LOL I trained at REDI and worked the position for several months, and received accolades from my trainers/managers! LOL

It looks like "one and done" is CSX policy.
 #1292052  by walker33

I agree with you knucklehead! I guess that CSX is not going to give me another chance. I have applied for many other positions with CSX and I am still getting the same "not selected". I have an excellent safety record, work history, back ground and I have had the same job for almost 14 years. The way I look at this now it is CSX's loss and not mine. I am going to go to CSX's website and delete all of the positions I have applied for.
Thanks for the information.
 #1292059  by csxhobo

Knucklehead wrote:The way I look at this now it is CSX's loss and not mine
The way it sounds is CSX give you a chance and you turned it down. You proved you are not reliable. It is your loss not CSX's.
 #1292163  by COEN77

walker33 wrote:I agree with you knucklehead! I guess that CSX is not going to give me another chance. I have applied for many other positions with CSX and I am still getting the same "not selected". I have an excellent safety record, work history, back ground and I have had the same job for almost 14 years. The way I look at this now it is CSX's loss and not mine. I am going to go to CSX's website and delete all of the positions I have applied for.
Thanks for the information.
What's it take to reapply? A little of your time. After reading your original post you were never actually hired. You were only selected to move on to the next phase the physical, test ect.... I'd keep applying. You never know.
 #1292549  by walker33

csxhobo,
By not accepting the position does not prove my reliability. Like I have said that I have an excellent safety record, background and all of the above. Also, I have been at my same job now for 14 years and I have worked a second job for 4 years and I have an excellent record for that position I have also gone to college and finished my BS degree in Genetics. If that isn't reliable then I don't know what reliable is.
 #1292616  by CSX Conductor

It's true for almost every railroad. Once you get the job offer, you need to take it and go through the motions. They don't care what your reason is, once you quit pursuing the job, you're dead to them. They have hundreds and sometimes thousands of people applying for 1 vacancy. It's sad but true.
 #1292681  by csxhobo

Ok let me dumb this down a little. After a physical and background check you turned them down it means CSX can't depend on you. That is not reliable not matter how you look at it.