Railroad Forums 

• Getting Re-Hired at NS?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1444087  by Acela150

Hi All,

I previously worked for NS in the Philly area as a CO for about a year, got furloughed. NS did attempt to call me back, but the problem is my fault. I attempted to change my mailing address within the NS Mainframe and it didn't change and I wasn't aware of it. So when the recall letter went to my old address and I didn't know about it until a month after the letter was sent, I couldn't go back. My union reps worked really hard and tried to get me back, but were unsuccessful. If you're thinking this is BS, I swear it's not.

In the year that I was at NS, I marked off only as needed which was 2 times sick and any other times I marked off it was with permission from a boss for Doctor's appointments, e.g. things that would need me to mark off of work that I had to take care of. I was never taken OOS for any rule violations, etc. The guys who I worked with enjoyed working with me and always got along with me. Bottom line is I wasn't a trouble maker and did what I was supposed to do how I was taught.

A friend who I actually trained during my time at NS, who made a move to Allentown during furloughs put a referral in for me as a CO for Allentown. He also gave me the number of the Terminal Super of Allentown so I could give him a call and tell him what happened to me and that I would like to come back. I did call him and he did seem interested.

Today I got an invite to a hiring session. Should I pass the Entry Exam, interview, and get rehired, my CO Card is still valid until February.

I'm curious to see what members of RR.net think on this question. Would NS send me back to Georgia for another 3 weeks of CT school, or since my card is still valid would they send me out to qualify and go?? I did explain this to the terminal super that if offered employment I'm comfortable being sent out on road trains and qualifying without going to Georgia again.

Thanks for any insight that anyone provides.
 #1444096  by Wayside

I hope this works out for you. I think you'll just have to accept whatever they offer/require. It would be nice to be able to reclaim your original seniority date but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Wishing you a long and safe career! Pay into railroad retirement for many years on my behalf! :wink:
 #1444162  by Acela150

Thanks. I definitely would take the offer either way. As far as my seniority date. That'd be awesome. But wouldn't happen I'd say.