Railroad Forums 

• Georgia Southern Railway (fka Georgia Midland)

• Web-Site: http://www.pioneer-railcorp.com/index.html: Alabama Railroad Co. (ALAB); Decatur Junction Railway Co. (DT); Elkhart & Western Railroad Co. (EWR); Fort Smith Railroad Co. (FSR); Garden City Western Railway, Inc. (GCW); Gettysburg & Northern Railroad Co. (GET); Georgia Southern Railway Co. (GS); Indiana Southwestern Railway Co. (ISW); Keokuk Junction Railway Co. (KJRY); Kendallville Terminal Railway Co. (KTR); Michigan Southern Railroad Company (MSO); Mississippi Central Railroad Co. (MSCI; Napoleon, Defiance & Western Railway (NDW); Pioneer Industrial Railway Co. (PRY); Ripley & New Albany Railroad Co. (RNA); Shawnee Terminal Railway Company (STR); Vandalia Railroad Co. (VRRC);
Web-Site: http://www.pioneer-railcorp.com/index.html: Alabama Railroad Co. (ALAB); Decatur Junction Railway Co. (DT); Elkhart & Western Railroad Co. (EWR); Fort Smith Railroad Co. (FSR); Garden City Western Railway, Inc. (GCW); Gettysburg & Northern Railroad Co. (GET); Georgia Southern Railway Co. (GS); Indiana Southwestern Railway Co. (ISW); Keokuk Junction Railway Co. (KJRY); Kendallville Terminal Railway Co. (KTR); Michigan Southern Railroad Company (MSO); Mississippi Central Railroad Co. (MSCI; Napoleon, Defiance & Western Railway (NDW); Pioneer Industrial Railway Co. (PRY); Ripley & New Albany Railroad Co. (RNA); Shawnee Terminal Railway Company (STR); Vandalia Railroad Co. (VRRC);

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1025452  by Jeff Smith

Wow. Usually, when I get news alerts for Georgia Southern Railway, it's about Norfolk Southern, the old Southern Railway, etc. This one was on the mark. Wonder if the Herald has it in there:

http://www2.wsav.com/news/2012/mar/07/s ... r-3371055/
BULLOCH COUNTY, GA --
An investigation into the sale of stolen metal led to the arrests of three people on methamphetamine charges in Bulloch County.

Authorities were notified by a local metal recycler that they had received metal that was allegedly stolen from Georgia Southern Railway.
The moral of the story is if you're running a meth lab, don't steal rail, etc.
 #1026460  by G&Fman

Wow, now that's news! Glad they got caught, plus others who might be thinking of doing this to get quick cash will see this as well and have second thoughts.

But then, how painfully obvious is it to realize what you've been doing when you pull in a scrap yard with your pickup and trailer loaded down with sections of rail? That's meth for ya!
 #1033501  by mterrell

Yeah it looks like they finally started on the tie project. Saw them working by the X downtown, on the main. Bulldozer and a company work truck. I've heard 2024 today and last week but haven't been able to see any activity.
 #1034209  by G&Fman

Business has been unusual at Dover this week. One night we would have over 15 cars to take to Dover, then the next absolutely nothing.

Earlier this week we took 3 loads of fertilizer destined for Tillman & Deal at Register......1 or 2 of them were CSX with the Family Lines logo still on the sides. Don't see much of Family Lines stuff anymore.
 #1034241  by Jeff Smith

I'll have to run down there to Register tomorrow see if they're still there. Nice to know they're still taking deliveries there, even if it's once a year or so.

I've heard them a couple of times this week. Drove by Howard's earlier this week; they were fully loaded up. Quite a few cars backed in there, and some still hooked to the 2024. Don't know if they're still there. I'd say there had to be close to ten or so centerbeams.

Mark tells me quite a lot of work going on. Glad to see the GSR is getting some TLC. High hopes.
 #1034425  by G&Fman

Ooops, forgot to mention those cars at Register were picked back up by G25 at Dover yesterday morning.......

Yeah, the crosstie work has been a long time coming. Heck, even the crossties on the Metter side have been in better shape than in downtown Statesboro!

No cars for Dover last night. G25 left Savannah with just 3 gons for the track guys in Springfield.
 #1036641  by G&Fman

Man, Claude Howard is loading lumber left and right. Most of the loads are going to the northeast and Virginia.

Few nights ago we dropped 7 centerbeams off at Dover. Bet the rails are good and polished between Grady and Zetterower.

Don't have any idea on GAF. Drove by there the other day and it looks like they're finished with the track and unloading stations.
 #1040760  by mterrell

Heard 701 today for the first time in a while. The horns on it are so noticeable I could instantly tell when I heard it... I've been hearing 2024 almost daily but I've been so busy I haven't been able to catch anything soon.
 #1042187  by Jeff Smith

Lots of activity at Howard's this week. Yesterday morning there were six empty centerbeams on the siding there (the siding which leads to Bulloch Fertilizer). There were at least five full centerbeams, maybe more, waiting to ship pushed back into Howard's. No sign of power anywhere. Went on down to Bulloch Fertilizer and saw one hopper. Later that afternoon, saw the 2024 at Howards backed up to the full centerbeams, but couldn't hang around. I assumed it would pull out the loaded centerbeams, head up the Bulloch Fertilizer spur, back in to the siding, hook up the empties, and then back the empties in to Howard's, then head out with the loaded. I think everything but the last happened. Must have been some shunting job.

When I went back today, there were two empties left on the siding, some loaded centerbeams on the Howard's secondary along with the BF hopper, and the 4 empties from yesterday backed into Howards and loaded. The power wasn't there; when I got home, I heard it heading back up from I assume Reeves. That's going to be quite a load heading back up to Dover later. Figure 10 centerbeams, the hopper, and whatever was at Reeves or down in Metter.