Railroad Forums 

• General Ballast Express Questions

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#63760  by craltoona

Conrail's Ballast Express trains were quite interesting to me. I have a few questions on them that hopefully some of you will know the answers to.

1. Conrail painted only C32-8s into the Ballast Express scheme. I know that Conrail bought the only 10 C32-8 ever made. Did Conrail eventually paint all of these into the Ballast Express scheme? I've also seen pictures of C32-8s with the standard "can opener" w/ blue paint scheme that said "ballast express" right below the cab. Were these eventually painted into gray as well? In addition, was there a special reason the C32-8s were chosen as opposed to another model?

2. Was Ballast Express service just used for MOW service (conrail ballasting jobs), or were the ballast express (ortner) cars used for revenue service as well?

3. When did Conrail start Ballast Express service and why did they create it in the first place? Were there any other major railroads (past or present) that had "special-only ballast service" schemes?

I know it's a lot of questions, but your help is again greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to learning more! Thanks!

-Joe M.

#63813  by SRS125

I had seen a C32-8 that was still in Bluse Paint with the rolling wheels logo on NS last week don't rember the cab number thow or the location where I saw it. I was heading down near Corning at the time.

#64379  by TerryC

What about the C30-7A, it is not on the poll. The blue unit you saw SRS125 is an early version of the C39-8. The only remaining C32-8 is in gray paint and pushes cars under a chute in Georgia for CSXT.

#65087  by craltoona

You are correct, I forgot about the C30-7A and would have put it on if I'd remembered. To my suprise, the 80MACs are the lead. I thought that the Ex- EL SD45-2 with the extra large feul tanks would be leading.. I seem to be the only one for the SD60I though...that was my favorite. I'm sorry to here that it appears there is only one Conrail gray locomotive left...but better than none.

#72909  by MR77100

My favorite is the SD45-2 due to the large 5,000 gallon fuel tank and distinctive horn-mounting bracket. About the C32-8's, I videotaped a grey one at Crestline, OH in 1998 as it was leading a merchandise train south on the connecting track to the Big Four. I am not sure if it was being used in revenue service or just backup power.

etc

#72952  by Noel Weaver

This item does not make sense. Favorite locomotive in what respect?
From an engineer or from a railfan?
What difference does a fuel tank or a horn bracket make when it comes to
pulling a train?
Of the four engines mentioned, the SD-60 was the best over all engine.
The SD-80 MAC was also an excellent locomotive.
Noel Weaver

#75592  by emd_SD_60

I loved the SD45-2. Next to the SD40-2 it was my second favorite.