Railroad Forums 

• Gear for the new conductor

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1356422  by MatthewSC

Hello everyone, I read a topic on here awhile back and can't seem to find it. It was about a new hire conductor who was asking what gear he would need and someone had posted a long list of stuff like a duffel bag, steel toe boots, mink oil, and on down the line. If anyone has an idea could you post it here. Or just post your take on what I as a new conductor should look in to. Any advice would be appreciated as well. Very excited to start the process and my career.
 #1356432  by trkspd

What railroad hired you?

It's kind of a bad time to start a career within the railroad industry.

Save your money!
 #1356487  by gp80mac

Road or yard? General location?

The railroad will tell you what is required, but there's a bit more that will be nice.
 #1356509  by Engineer Spike

Work boots are tricky to get ahead. Some lines slow 6", while others say 8" boots. CPR requires puncture resistant soles. Most major companies subsidize, or even pay for them outright, depending on the agreements. They also usually have lists of the brands and models which are acceptable.

Look into bags, like Autumn Creek, and Tuff Bag. They are designed to hold up to the rough use. A plain Walmart brand won't last very long. First find out what books you will need to carry, so you get one which is big enough. I had a railroad Tuff Bag, but now it isn't practical. As a conductor, it would fit my rain suit, lantern, books, and so on. Now I don't need those items, so I have a bag which is a computer bag/brief case with wheels. This keeps my books better organized.

Breathable rain gear is a wise investment. Go to an industrial supplier. A set that a hiker wears will not hold up to climbing over boxcars.

The whole exercise is to be prepared like a good Boy Scout, but not be overly incumbered if you need to walk down the tracks, away from the nearest road. The conductor which I just worked with is just the opposite. He carries way too much, and has to make multiple trips.

A leatherman tool is often handy. I also have a separate set of toiletries. This way I don't need to unpacked, and repack before, and after each run. The only thing I do is take out dirty laundry, and replace with clean clothes.

Clothing is one other important point. Of course dress for the weather. Pack at least 2 changes. This serves two purposes. First, you may get wet or dirty. Second, the return train may get delayed. This may lead to a whole hotel day. After that, you will still need a set for the return day. This lesson was learned the hard way. I once had to wash some clothes in the hotel room sink, and dry them on the radiator. I got called for a "local", which turned out to go out, lay over, and mark themselves for the return, on their rest.

I hope this helps.
 #1356550  by MatthewSC

Yes sir, very much so. I'm starting with the school soon for Norfolk Southern I'm out of South Carolina. Thats very helpful tools, rain gear, whatever I can get that will make my life easier on the rail and me better equipped to do my job. Anything else I should look into?

And also Books? What books do you usually carry?
 #1356553  by trkspd

Books....as in book of rules. They will be given to you early on in your training. NS Operating Rules, Air Brake & Training Handling, Safety Rules, Timetable, General Orders, General Notices, etc. (The general notices and orders do not have to be carried....but they are handy to have, along with track charts which are basically maps of the track itself)

If I was you I'd just use a regular backpack for now until you actually graduate and get over your probationary period. There is no point in having an expensive railroad grip if you don't work for the railroad, and also it doesn't do much good sitting in the closet if you get furloughed.

When it does come time for a grip, I suggest Autumn Creek. They have the same warranty as Red Oxx, but are a lot cheaper. I am on of those people who carries too much shit up on the engine, but I have a use for everything I carry....I have two Autumn Creek grips lol.

The NS instructors will give you info on what is required, and then just wait and see what your OJT instructors carry with them in their grips to get an idea of what will be helpful to carry with you.

The most important thing you can do right now is be punctual (early even), being attentive, being open and willing to learn (You know nothing and are there to learn the NS way of railroading, keep that in mind), being dedicated (railroading is not just a job its both a career and lifestyle) and making sure you are always in a safe position and aware of your surroundings. Most everyone on the railroad will go out of their way to help someone who is down to earth, willing to learn, and has a good sense of safety.

One more thing, if you are ever unsure or have a question STOP the movement and get a clear understanding of what it is you are supposed to be doing or what it is that is going on. Railroading is very dangerous and unforgiving...

Good luck.
 #1356625  by Acela150

I use frogtrogs rail gear. While it can get hot. I was a utility guy in the yard for a while and one day it rained for a total of 4 inches. The only reason I was wet, was the sweat that poured out from working constantly and it was a very muggy day. Other then that I was dry. I would also suggest having a second set off boots. That day when I was done my boots were drenched. If your crew base has hotel jobs I'd have a big enough bag to have a few days worth of clothes. My crew base doesn't have to deal with being put up in hotels. So I carry a book bag where I carry, NS rule books and TT, NORAC, CSX rules and TT's, Amtrak Employee TT, Conrail TT, Amtrak and Septa bulletins, Conrail Bulletins, Track Authority books, Form D books, Fusee's, an endless supply of pens, tempil stick, counter, Phone Charger (Some units have outlets) and Cell Phone in case dispatchers don't answer the radio or you need to call the Crew Dispatcher to find out when/if your Jitney was ordered, track maps, and some other stuff that the list goes on. One thing I keep that is seriously under rated is plastic sandwich bags. They fit perfectly over your radio if you choose to use a hand mic and keep it dry when it rains and you can still be understood. Trust me when it's pouring rain and you're shifting it sucks when you're giving car counts and your mic is water logged.
 #1357115  by slchub

I have been using my current Autumn Creek bag since 2004. No issues. Carhartt overalls and outwear have held up in -20 degree weather and snow in Wyoming, Utah and Nevada. I've had great luck with Red Wing boots and have had three pair replaced for FREE by Red Wing when they failed. Wigwam merino wool socks last for years and keep your feet warm even after you have walked to the rear of that 10,000 foot train in knee deep snow.

You will find that if you spend the money for gear that will hold up it will and the companies will repair/replace it for you if it fails. If you buy from the local big box stores expect it to last a season if that.

Take care of your body. The RR will wear it out in no time flat.
 #1357136  by MatthewSC

I've been hearing about the red wings and looked them up which style of boot is good or is allowed for example is classic moc or the roughneck style good choices?
 #1357202  by trkspd

MatthewSC wrote:I've been hearing about the red wings and looked them up which style of boot is good or is allowed for example is classic moc or the roughneck style good choices?
You need to be asking your coworkers...or most wisely your instructor those questions.

Your boots have to be within company specs, and every railroad is different. I can't wear my BN boots at CP for example.
 #1357258  by Acela150

I've worn Wigwam and Carhartt Socks. Cahartt socks are more comfortable and warmer. I have an endless supply of Carhartt khakis that I bought off of Amazon. As for boots NS requires a 90 degree heel.
 #1357359  by Engineer Spike

Office supplies are good to invest in. The yard office stapler is usually out of staples, so get a small stapler. Pens,.... A three ring binder and 3 hole punch are good for keeping notices organized. A folder for forms is good too. You can keep delay, main track authority, and whatever else neat. Older NS engines don't have desks. A clipboard may be handy. You can combine the folder and clip board. They have the metal clip boards with a compartment. I had a plastic one. It was cheaper, had more room, and was lighter. It also held up well.
 #1363474  by The RR Authority

slchub wrote:I have been using my current Autumn Creek bag since 2004. No issues. Carhartt overalls and outwear have held up in -20 degree weather and snow in Wyoming, Utah and Nevada. I've had great luck with Red Wing boots and have had three pair replaced for FREE by Red Wing when they failed. Wigwam merino wool socks last for years and keep your feet warm even after you have walked to the rear of that 10,000 foot train in knee deep snow.

You will find that if you spend the money for gear that will hold up it will and the companies will repair/replace it for you if it fails. If you buy from the local big box stores expect it to last a season if that.

Take care of your body. The RR will wear it out in no time flat.

The secret is to ONLY wear wool socks---and the more wool the better----in the cold weather.