Railroad Forums 

• GE Transportation Expands Manufacturing in Grove City

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1001844  by MEC407

From Bloomberg Business Week:
Bloomberg Business Week wrote:General Electric Co. plans to spend $72 million to add a diesel-engine plant and upgrade another in Grove City, Pennsylvania, meeting demand for locomotives.

GE, the world’s largest maker of diesel locomotives, will lay out $35 million to build the new plant, according to a statement today. The factory will begin production by the end of 2012 and create 150 jobs by early 2013, the Fairfield, Connecticut-based company said. GE is also spending $37 million this year and next on the upgrade of a 40-year-old facility.

Demand for the remanufacture of engines is being driven by locomotive overhauls and the need to comply with more-stringent U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission standards for diesel engines that take effect in 2013, GE said.
Good news for Grove City! Read more at: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-1 ... lants.html
 #1001998  by Allen Hazen

This increases my confidence that the GE locomotives built at the new plant in Texas will have engines from Grove City-- something I would have been willing to bet on before, but I'd take longer odds now.
 #1014686  by MEC407

From GoErie.com:
GoErie.com wrote:Nothing lasts forever. That includes the hefty 12-cylinder diesel engine that powers GE Transportation's Evolution locomotives.

The 4,400-hp engine, designed to last more than 20 years, is also designed to go back to the factory every seven years for an extensive overhaul.

That's part of the reason GE Transportation recently announced plans to invest $72 million in two Grove City engine plants.

Until recently, the task of rebuilding the company's fastest-selling engine, introduced in 2005, has been a manageable one, performed in the same Grove City factory where the new ones are built.

But with the first of the Evolution engines nearing the seven-year mark, that's about to change, prompting the company to announce recently that it will expand and add 150 workers.
Read more at: http://www.goerie.com/article/20120205/ ... -future%3F
 #1014740  by RickRackstop

Does this mean that they have to unit exchange the engine or is it just recommended. The railroads are the original do-it-yourselfers and they won't be too happy about this and it will figure in the cost of ownership verses EMD. I suppose GE has designed the perfect locomotive where in 20 years it will collapse in a pile of scrap that can be swept into a dumpster and can then be replaced with a new one.
 #1014853  by Allen Hazen

Occasionally bits of technicalinformation come through! The article about the expansion of GE's Grove City operations says that the 12-cylinder GEVO weighs 21 tons. I don't think I've seen that figure posted before.
 #1014975  by MEC407

RickRackstop wrote:The railroads are the original do-it-yourselfers and they won't be too happy about this...
What's to not be happy about? They had to have known about it when they signed on the dotted line to order the locomotives. You don't spend hundreds of millions of dollars on new equipment without knowing stuff like that ahead of time. It's not as if GE is just springing this news on the railroads all of a sudden.
 #1015085  by GEVO

If you paid for a service or maintenance contract for your car, would you do the work yourself? Same thing applies here. This isn't the least bit different than what has been going on for many, many years with the FDLs that were in locomotives under service contracts.
 #1015102  by MEC407

That's what I was thinking. Santa Fe, for example, had a GE maintenance contract on their B23-7s, which I'm told included overhauls and rebuilds of the FDLs. So this isn't anything new. GE must have done a pretty decent job because the shortlines and regionals that have purchased those ex-ATSF B23s seem to be happy with them. An official from one such railroad remarked that the batch his railroad acquired was "very well maintained."
 #1015358  by Bright Star

GE has had a very large presense in contract maintenance for years. In todays' world, it may be preferable to return the diesel engine to the manufacturer for overhaul...just to maintain emissions certification.

Many railroads had full process lines for EMD engine material-wonder if the same can be said for GE.

Back in the day, the D&H was but one road who routinely unit-exchanged entire engines...in the interest of minimizing shop residence time for the locomotive.

In the early '80s, GE had planned a major upgrade at both Erie and Grove City. While the Erie upgrade was cancelled, they did do something at Grove City-which resulted in a substantial increase in overall capacity. Absent a large investment in Erie, GE relied on something from their usual corporate bag of tricks-productivity improvements.

BS