Railroad Forums 

• GE Prime Movers

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#231350  by tripleexpansion

I didn't mean to include the image in my previous post and I see that I can't edit my post so please remove the image for me.

#231545  by Allen Hazen

tripleexpansion--
Thanks for the -- unintentional -- photo. It's the only view of a DX from overhead that I have ever seen!
(It looks as if the locomotive in the photo is in pretty much the configuration GE built it in: my understanding is that at least some of the re-built units now LOOK radically different. ... The hood, I assume, is the same width as on domestic U- and -7 series locomotives: it certainly looks VERY, VERY wide on a narrowgauge platform!)
The bad thing about images on this forum is that they tend -- at least when viewed with my browser from my computer -- to cover the text, so I haven't been able to see what you wrote. If the moderator doesn't (is unable) to do anything about your post in a few days, would you mind re-posting the text of your message? Thanks!
--

#231709  by RailBus63

What are the fundamental differences between the new 'GEVO 12 engine' and the FDL engines in the Dash 9 units? How does a 12-cylinder powerplant do the same job as a 16-cylinder one?

I had an opportunity last week to watch two CSX ES44DC's switching cuts at Dewitt Yard in Syracuse. It was the first good opportunity I've had to see and hear these units at work, and I came away with the impression that when the GEVO's throttle up they sound more like a Genesis P32 dual-mode than a Dash 9 freight unit. I also noticed these locomotives seem to produce a deeper bass sound than I've heard with other GE units.

Jim

#231777  by MEC407

RailBus63 wrote:What are the fundamental differences between the new 'GEVO 12 engine' and the FDL engines in the Dash 9 units? How does a 12-cylinder powerplant do the same job as a 16-cylinder one?
The GEVO cylinders are larger than the FDL cylinders. That's why they're able to get comparable horsepower with fewer cylinders. It's also a much newer design.

The GEVO-12 is basically just the 12-cylinder version of the HDL-16 used in the AC6000.
 #231778  by MEC407

tripleexpansion wrote:I didn't mean to include the image in my previous post and I see that I can't edit my post so please remove the image for me.
Welcome aboard!

I moved the photo to the bottom of your post. That should eliminate any viewing problems.

Also, you should be able to edit your own posts. If you are unable to, you may wish to contact the site webmaster for help.