Railroad Forums 

• GE NextFuel Natural Gas locomotive retrofit

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1218490  by MEC407

GE Transportation has released a promo video about their NextFuel Natural Gas locomotive retrofit kit. It's pretty interesting. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pENDSI1BljA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1219589  by v8interceptor

Thanks for posting that, it is quite interesting.
I wonder if the conversion kit will be "street legal" for the coming Tier IV locomotives?
I have read that Natural gas dual fuel diesels may have issues meeting the higher standards due to NoX emissions. IIRC, I have seen something that said that new LNG units may only have to meet Tier III but that won't allow the RR to run the unit on 100% diesel (the conversion alllows that) when needed...
 #1228817  by MEC407

From 4-Traders:
4-Traders wrote:CSX Corporation (NYSE: CSX) and GE Transportation, a division of GE (NYSE: GE) today announced an agreement to explore emissions-cutting and efficiency breakthroughs in Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) technology for locomotives beginning with a pilot program in 2014.
. . .
GE has been testing low-pressure natural gas technology since spring of 2013, and is working closely with CSX and other Class 1 partners. Field tests are expected to begin in 2014.
. . .
CSX will be working over the next few months to develop a test plan and secure regulatory concurrence. For CSX, GE Transportation will deploy its new NextFuel(TM) Natural Gas Retrofit Kits that enable existing Evolution Series locomotives to operate with dual fuel capabilities. CSX and GE will also work on the continued development of LNG technology for other classes of locomotives to promote gains across a larger portion of the CSX locomotive fleet . . .
Read the rest of the article at: http://www.4-traders.com/GENERAL-ELECTR ... -17459035/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;