Railroad Forums 

• GE might build locomotives in Massachusetts (or not)

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#917790  by GP40MC1118

Not withstanding the fact that PAR would be servicing this plant, there would be issues
clearence-wise for the type of locomotives to be built here. There are issues in
Chelsea and Somerville (multiple locations).

D
 #917857  by b&m 1566

Pan Am just filed for discountenance of that branch last year. Half the branch has no rails and all grade crossings have been removed. I’m not sure what the MBTA plans to do with it but its highly unlikely they will restore it.
GP40MC1118 if the new engines will have clearance issues, how is Pan Am going to deliver the Ethanol to Revere using NS power?
 #918033  by GP40MC1118

In as far as ethanol to Revere, certain locomotives would be restricted from from operating on portions
of the MBTA depending on applicable restrictions. The whole reason the Saugus Branch survived as long as it did
was to move dimensional loads out of GE. Same applies for any dimensional load or engines/cars exceeding
height restrictions.

The current restriction on the Eastern Route mainline is at Washington Street in Chelsea. Nothing over
Plate E can operate by this bridge. There is a Plate F restriction on No.2 Track between Reading Jct and
FX Interlocking in Somerville.

Frankly I'd rather see a bunch of SD40-2's battle it out going over the Mystic River bridge than the newer stuff any day...

D
 #918112  by GP40MC1118

The Saugus Branch is dead. I didn't mean to imply it was in play. Most it will be a bike path soon.

The only segment in use is at the extreme west end at Everett Jct where the MBTA loads its ballast
cars.

D
 #918115  by Allen Hazen

BM1566 asked for the address of the Lynn plant in question. The GE aircraft engine plant in Lynn is apparently at 1100 Western Avenue-- I don't know if the former gear plant is near it or not. One news story on the web said:
"The Gear Plant abuts the Old Navy Road, running parallel to the Lynnway."

If that helps.
 #918122  by b&m 1566

If this comes to fruition the state is going to have to upgrade the areas in question on the Eastern Route; if the Saugus Branch is as dead as GP40MC1118 says it is. Since the governor has been on trips to try and recruit businesses to set up shop in the state, it will not look good for him if GE has to dump this option because of the obstacles. If anybody has half a brain at the state level they will delay the trail building on the Saugus Branch until GE decides what to do; this way the state will have two options to work with, if GE chooses Lynn.

(Thank you Allen!)
 #918290  by MEC407

This is General friggin' Electric we're talking about. If they want to build locomotives in Lynn, they'll figure out a way to make it happen. Un-abandoning and/or rebuilding a dormant line is not an impossibility.

When a company the size of GE comes knocking at your door, especially in this economy, cities and states will do just about anything to lay out the welcome mat.
 #918330  by b&m 1566

I would be curious if the governor knows about this and if he does, what's he doing to try and make this work.
 #918532  by b&m 1566

Is that a fact, or your own personal opinion? People said the same thing and about the ethanol train to East Boston and guess what? Work is under way with that project (though some still refuse to believe it).
 #918598  by tom18287

i'm good friends with a malden alderman, and they are all excited about the bike trail. in everett, the tracks are already ripped up, but only a very small section. the row is railbanked though, so i do not think they would have much say.