Railroad Forums 

• GE Locomotives: 100 years and still chuggin'

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#448534  by MEC407

Interesting article about the past, present, and future of GE's locomotive business:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 28896.html

#448737  by Allen Hazen

Hmmm... When I was in Pittsburgh, in the 1970s, the Tribune was the less up-market of the two main papers (and even its competor was so bad many of my friends read the New York Times), but that's an interesting article.

One line caught my eye:
"We will introduce seven new engine configurations over the next two years," Harris said.

Harris being the manager at Grove City, I take it he means ENGINE configurations, not LOCOMOTIVE. Stay tuned for further developments.

(Thanks for posting that, MEC 407. Do you think any of the new engine configurations will involve 8-cylinder versions? (Grin!))

#448835  by MEC407

Allen Hazen wrote:(Thanks for posting that, MEC 407. Do you think any of the new engine configurations will involve 8-cylinder versions? (Grin!))
I hope so! :-D

#449019  by Herr Spreng

In addition to loco applications, GE makes engines for stationary and marine usage.

#451334  by Dakguy201

A quote from the article:

"Husband added that with General Motors' sale of Electro-Motive, there's some question in the industry as to the research and development, the money, and commitment by the new owners."

What that person is politely saying is that EMD is now owned by the venture capitalists, and those kind of organizations have a history of juicing up the cash flow and profits in the short term, then unloading the company on the general public.