Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1607583  by MACTRAXX

KGT - I will add something I learned from an Amtrak equipment display at 30th Street Station-Philadelphia
some years ago-late 1990s: Track 1 has a low-level maintenance platform on the east (Schuykill River) side.
There were Superliner cars as part of an exhibit train that were able to fit under the overhead wire - the car
roof was close enough to the wire that it had to be de-energized to avoid any AC current flash-over there...
11 or 25 KV AC has to have sufficient clearance to avoid any potentially dangerous arc problems...MACTRAXX
 #1607609  by ExCon90

True -- there was an exhibition of a Talgo set (quite a few years ago) on Track 1. Access from the main concourse is through the first doors leading to the outside, then down a stairway (wide enough for about two people) involving a succession of left turns until you reach the bottom, although I assume there must be an elevator somewhere. Not at all practical for any sort of scheduled service.