Railroad Forums 

• GATX 1082 tank car

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1228820  by nydepot

Hello,

I'm looking for information on the type of tank car represented by GATX #1082. The car is silver and possibly 3 dome (not a full photo) and used during 1950s-60s.

Thanks,

Charles
GATX.JPG
 #1229946  by nydepot

If there is a model number or gallons (8 or 10K), etc. Eventual modeling purposes. Thanks.
 #1231629  by Cowford

I can't find anything in my archives... it's old (duh) given the tank's riveted construction. Probably 30's or 40's built? It looks to be a ~6,000 gallon cap'y, three compartment car, given the dome in the pic looks to be stenciled "A" with "2,024" which would be gallon capacity for that compartment. (I believe the domes would be, in order, "A", "C", and "B", with "B" on the brake-end of the car. A Google images search turned up a similar car (SHPX 42) on IRM's restored equipment roster up in IL.
 #1231682  by Desertdweller

I saw some of these when I worked on a railroad that switched an oil refinery.

Each dome sits atop a separate compartment.

How these things were used, according to what I saw, was they were used to ship refinery by-products. In the process of converting crude oil to gasoline, a number of petroleum by-products are produced in comparatively small amounts. These can be stored and shipped in carload lots, or shipped in small amounts in cars like this.

A car like this would have hazmat placard holders for each compartment. Each compartment would also carry its own seals.

I would imagine at one time, a car like this would be used to ship products to more than one receiver, moving from customer to customer until all compartments were empty. Or, they could carry different products or different grades of the same product to one receiver. It also might be useful to ship products that are not normally used in carload lots (like lube oil).

Something that came as a surprise to me was the fact that a refinery would often ship by-products to a competing company's facility.

Les