Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1190919  by justalurker66

I was passing through Gary last night and 5th Avenue (now US 12/20 Eastbound) was torn up for road construction. Right now the center lane has been removed down to dirt to be repaved (the curb lanes have already been replaced).

I noticed what appeared to be two sets of rails in the excavated center lane. I tried to get a picture but it was dark and there was heavy police activity (dozens of cars responding down 5th Ave to what appeared to be a bar with a lot of people wandering around outside). I've been able to find a reference to there being a Gary Railways streetcar line on 5th Avenue. I wonder if these are tracks for the old line that were buried in the past.

I've seen this once before on the south side of Chicago where road construction in the late 90's uncovered streetcar tracks on 95th St. I could not find any articles to confirm that these are tracks. Does anyone know for sure?
 #1191072  by Tadman

When I grew up in South Bend, my dad once drove us to a Conrail mainline crossing with a third set of tracks in the pavement, but without tracks on either side. It was a Norther Indiana Railroad crossing. Probably long gone now.
 #1194187  by justalurker66

We are getting to the last chance to photograph any remnants of the rails. There are only a couple places where the old road has not been removed (including Grant St and Broadway). The old rails are most obvious at Grant St (McDonalds). Everything between the intersections is gone with most replaced with the new concrete base for the new roadway.