Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1395875  by SouthernRailway

Out of curiosity, why do signs around Montreal's main station, the Gare Centrale/Central Station, refer to it as the "CN" Gare Centrale?

CN no longer owns the station, but did it just keep naming rights due to having its headquarters nearby?

That seems like referring to Amtrak's stations as "CSX" Station, "Norfolk Southern" station, etc., right?

Thanks.
 #1395884  by bdawe

Amtrak doesn't have a CSX or Norfolk Southern Station, but they certainly have a number of Pennsylvania Stations. As it happens that the railroad that built and named those stations is dead, but the railroad that built and named the station in Montreal is very much alive.

I would note, however, that the large illuminated letters that used to grace the roof of the old CN terminal in Vancouver were changed to read 'PACIFIC CENTRAL' from their former 'CANADIAN NATIONAL'
 #1395946  by Mark0f0

Its still called the "CN Tower" in both Toronto and Edmonton. Even though CN's involvement with both prominent buildings has been non-existent for many, many years. And neither are owned by CN nor is CN a tenant.

Come to think of it, it was only a decade ago that the "CN Tower" in Saskatoon, which is now part of a shopping mall, had the "CN" identity removed. I remember going to (the mall) as a kid and wondering why there was an elevator to the "CN Tower", a term until then I had only associated with the famous Toronto landmark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midtown_Plaza_(Saskatoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
 #1395972  by NS VIA FAN

Mark0f0 wrote:Its still called the "CN Tower" in both Toronto and Edmonton. Even though CN's involvement with both prominent buildings has been non-existent for many, many years. And neither are owned by CN nor is CN a tenant......
The ‘CN’ Tower in Toronto now refers to ‘Canada’s National’ Tower and lettering is just ‘CN’ not the iconic CN Symbol.

http://www.cntower.ca/en-ca/home.html?ref=MainBarEN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prior to the privatization of Canadian National Railways in 1995, the tower was transferred the Canada Lands Company….a Federal Crown Corporation. along with other non railway assets.
Last edited by NS VIA FAN on Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #1395974  by AgentSkelly

My friends in Toronto joke they got confused with renaming the SkyDome....Rogers should of bought the naming rights to the CN Tower :P

As for Gare Central...my understanding is that its because CN's HQ is across the street...
 #1396465  by MACTRAXX

Skelly (and Everyone:)

"Rogers Skydome" SHOULD have been the compromise name of Toronto's Skydome and NOT "Rogers Centre" in my opinion.

One of the best Toronto examples is the Eaton Centre mall paralleling Yonge Street in Downtown Toronto. That name is still in use even though
the Eaton Department Store chain is no longer there or involved...

I think that the reference to the CN Tower in Toronto as "Canada's National Tower" is a good one...

I feel that CN Railway needs a revised name to show how they have changed since they were a Crown Corporation of the Canadian Federal Government:
I posted about this subject at the CN/IC Forum in the past and decided to mention it again...

"CENTRAL NORTHERN RAILWAY"

CENTRAL - primarily for the US trackage of the Illinois Central and for the large service area in the central United States and Canada...
NORTHERN - for the coast-to-coast east-west coverage of the Railway and for the CN Predecessor Canadian Northern - which serves the
northern part of the North American continent...

No change in color scheme or reporting marks necessary...There is much more to CN then "Canadian National" today...

MACTRAXX