Railroad Forums 

• Gardner Greenfield Street railway company?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#648618  by curtb

TRYING TO FIGURE PROPERTY LINES..DEED SAYS ABUTTING "GARDNER GREENFIELD STREET RAILWAY COMPANY"....ANYONE EVER HEARD OF SUCH A COMPANY..ASSUME FROM MAYBE LATE 1800'S..NOT SURE THOUGH...THIS IS IN CENTRAL MASS,HAD NO LUCK DOING ANY SEARCHES ONLINE.MIGHT HAVE BEEN SOMETHING TAKEN OVER BY "VERMONT AND MASSACHUSETTS RAILROAD"...ANY HELP APPRECIATED
 #648821  by jaymac

Generally. street railways lived up to their names and ran in public roadways. Because of flooding, especially with the Millers River and its tributaries, alignment of streets and street railways might sometimes be changed after a deed was written. The period of the mid to late 1920's was when most street railways in Worcester and Franklin Counties ceased rail -- if not bus -- operations. For precision, check the appropriate Country Registrar of Deeds. For legal precision, hire a surveyor, and no, I'm not a surveyor or even related to one.
Hope this helps.
 #648866  by curtb

THANKS..WAS MORE CURIOUS THAN ANYTHING..OUR HOME USED TO BE GENERAL STORE AND STOPOVER ALONG ROAD,WITH MIDWAY POINT BETWEEN GARDNER AND GREENFIELD THOUGHT IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN OWNED BY THAT RAILWAY AT THAT TIME AS NOT MANY HOUSES ALONG ROAD AT THAT TIME..HAVE PICTURE OF WHEN GENERAL STORE AND DIRT ROAD SHOWS NO TRACKS ,RAILROAD TRACKS BEHIND HOUSE THOUGH..SO I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR SAYING AS BIENG "STREET"...SO THAT KINDA MAKES ME THINK THIS PLACE MIGHT HAVE BEEN PART OF THAT ROUTE...THANKS