• Gardner Gawking

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

• 2664 posts
  by jaymac

0348-0535/03-18-2021 started off quiet, the 0400 P&W Dispatcher's side of a convo with WX-3 being the 1st proof of scanner function. There would be Yard Channel hash at 0403, and at 0405, D-3 would answer FI-2 -- plural more about whom later -- and advise that he was ready to copy, roger whatever they said, advise he believed the only thing there was part of a Grain Train (L? E?) on the OX side, advise them to continue west onto Freight Main *Hashed*. At 0408, the next plan was to bring it up to Keatings and tie down on the main, hashing occurring again but "the Chief" escaping clear.
At 0418 AYPO with the 7643 called out to D-3. Didn't hear the power lineup, but -- besides the CSXT marker -- there were 29x61 for a total of 90, hashed tonnage, and 6748'. D-3 OKd them down to East Wye, added more, but in the form of hash. More will follow about AYPO.
At 0421, there 333 WLs were dark, and at 0424 there was mutual hashing in a D-3/FI-2 exchange. After stating something about power and Ayer, D-3 said they were to go further west, FI-2 asking if that was to be FG, and D-3 saying that was correct, D-3 amending that 2 later to by the yard office instead of the signal. And yes, the 334 ELs were at Stop and the 334 1 stagger and 335s dark.
On my way WB, there was only a short spurt of Channel 1 Dispatcher-side hash. Up Da Hill, the 345s were and would remain dark. The easterly end of Yard 2 had --E-W -- 1 NW gon, 2 lumber centerbeams, 1 covered hopper, 3 unplacarded tanks, and 2 more covered hoppers.
The trip EB was quiet until 0440 and a broken 241 to AYPO. 2 to 2 and Freight Main were clear, so guessing it was a for WL. Naught further would be heard to, from, or about AYPO. Appropriately spaced crossing noise for Q427 had been heard either side of 0230 inside my home, but never heard a Form D fulfillment.
At 0450, the 7400 C OKd the 7400 E to depart, and at 0451, 3 flats, 1 bi, and the 1121 dropped the Medium Clear on the 333 Controlled Siding WL.
Further east and with occasional views of the 7400's markers, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and a Clear for 2. The 330 WLs showed Stops and the GL Controlled Siding WL a Medium Clear. The 7400 C OKd them east at 0509, and the FG 1 WL would go from dark to Clear. At 0511, the 7400 would make noise for dark, standing, and west-facing NSs 6945, 6965, and 6971 followed by wells with blue containers on either the #2 or FME across from the yard office. Guessing that FI-2 had been tasked with getting another train -- A late 23K? FI-3? ED-9? -- outta Ayer. FI-2 's regular power? Dunno if it was obscured on East Side or back in Ayer.
At 0518, the EB staggers for Derby were dark. 0522 would be when D-3 answered AE-01, advising they were coming in real quiet and to say again. Whatever AE-01 mighta said again got a real-hashed-to-me-again D-3 response.
0529 would be when D-3 would confirm that AY-3 with the 7553 was in the clear at the Milling and the lining, locking, and derailing being as they should be. Whatever cabbing arrangements mighta been made didn't get to my ears, nor did anything else of the next 6.
22K? ED-8 and/or EDPO? Dunno.
  by jaymac

The 0300-0450/03-22-2021 listening time provided relatively little audio input. At 0304, there was some Dispatcher-side Channel 1 garble with quiet until 0325 when D-3 answered AY-3, rogered whatever they had said, garbled, OKd them on signal indication, and garbled some more.
At 0331, the 333 WLs were dark, and at 0335 and just after seeing Stops for the 334 ELs and darkness for the 1 stagger, there was a semi-clear FI-2/D-3 exchange, the clear bits being 0x8 and another OK on signal indication.
And yes, the 335s were dark, the WB trip was quiet, and the 345s were dark. Yard 4 had occupants from the easterly FP to the easterly end of the Pratt yard -- covered hoppers, a pair of CRYO-TRANSes, some unplacarded tanks, and a string of 1/2-dozen or so BNSF plug-door boxes.
The trip EB was quiet, and the the 333 WLs were dark at 0400. Further east, the 330.8 WBs were at Clear, and the 330 WLs and ELs and GL WLs all at Stop.
At 0411, there was some D-3 garble, and a couple later, the FG WLs were dark, but at 0415, there was an FI-2/D-3 exchange about taking the light engine West to East, followed by the sight KCIR 5973 moving down towards the FG ELs. Guessing that the earlier Stops on the GL WLs had been from FI-2 going west at FG to shove the 0x8 onto West Side. And yes, the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT -- temporarily.
At 0419 There was a D-3 /AY-3 exchange, the 7595 getting broken permission to reverse direction from where they stood on the #1, making it seem like a WL runaround was in process. 0423 was when the EB staggers for Derby were dark, silence broken by a 0424 spurt of Yard Channel hash.
0427 was when somebody called out to the dispatcher, and a couple later came some close-interval garbles, siuggesting car countdowns.
There was a "Brakes all set" at 0430 -- mebbe the 7400 -- followed the same minute by D-3 answering AE-01 -- mebbe the source of the countdowns -- and rogering whatever they said.
Things were quiet until 0448 when D-3 gave AY-3 another permission to reverse direction from where they stood and go west to CPF-AY, asking if they were going to West Main Street, and rogering their response, the next 2 being -- like so many of the previous -- being quiet.
EDPO? FI-3? ED-8? POAY/AYPO/ AY-4? Q426/7? Naught to, from, or about exited the scanner's speaker. But later -- 0702 -- and from inside my home, there was crossing noise for the X-7.8 followed in 10 by fainter noise --theX6.0 -- suggesting Q427 was getting close to Burncoat.
  by jaymac

0255-0445/03-24-2021 was generous, particularly in servings of hash, the 𝜜 and 𝝮 of the trip, a mix of Dispatcher-side and Channel 1 from 0303 and a bit more. At 0322, D-3 would call out to FI-2 with no immediate response or D-3 follow-up. There was Yard Channel hash, so mebbe D-3 had swapped channels to confer. Broken car countdowns would follow at 0325, in eluding an "AY-?, come back."
As an OT hedzup for infrequent I-190 travelers, the NB exits have been changed to mileage-based numbers, but the SBs are still old-school sequentials.
At 0330, the 333 WLs were dark, the usual sequence Stops for the 334 ELs and darkness for the 334 1 stagger and 335s in full force.
A spell of radio silence would be in effect on the way WB up Da Hill where the 345s would be dark, the yard MT, and the same for the airwaves except for some Boston West garble.
EB silence would be broken at 0354 by garble, and the 333 WLs would be dark at 0356. Further east, the 330.8 WBs would be at Clear for 1 and Stop for 2, the 330 WLs and ELs and GL WLs were all at Stop, 22K sitting on 2 and extending west at least as far as the Bike Shop/Zeda's.
The FG WLs were at Stop, NSs 6971 (dimmed), 4417, and 7559 just west of the credit union. That same time there was more breakage that sounded like an update, followed by a slightly clearer D-3 issuing Form D G302 -- time effective 0409 -- to CSXT 3429 for X25 to Burncoat, hash again reigning. It mighta been buries in later hash, but I never did hear a D-3 acknowledgment of time into DCS. As of 0510, there was no crossing noise heard from inside my home.
0413 was when dark KCIR 5973 was sitting in the FI-1/2 parking spot. Mebbe their crossing of the road was cause for the earlier Stops on the GL WLs. Dunno.
At 0419, the EB staggers for Derby would be dark, and hash --only intermittent -- would be the mode for the balance of the trip, the coda being somebody's "Here we go" at 0445.
All the usual other presences had no attributable presence, at least as far as my scanner went.
  by jaymac

0250-0515/03-26-2021 was a trip of unmet expectations, especially as will be seen at the end and not just for me.
First of all, thanks to the P&W, receptions both on Yard and Road Channels being the early proofs of scanner function. 0319 produced a garbled 241, possibly even from Boston West.
At 0323, the 333 WLs were dark, and a few Yard Channel garbles would temporarily resolve into POAY car countdowns. The 334 ELs would be at Stops and -- naturally -- the 334 1 stagger and 335s dark.
The mist had changed to rain, but naught but collisions with raindrops would be heard WB up Da Hill. The 345 ELs and WLs were at Stop, but the only things visible in Gardner were on Yard 4 starting at the easterly FP with 4 loaded racks that changed into general as far west as the ambulance company -- NS gons, covered hoppers, and unplacarded tanks, most notably. At 0340, D-3 would call out to ED-9, naught further to be heard to, from, or about those guys. A trip a bit further west was made, naught visible from the usual places, and at 0351, the 346 WL was at Stop, naught visible to the immediate east. Mebbe the rain had done some shunting or mebbe the settings had changed. Dunno. Oh, yeah -- detour signs for the Pleasant Street OHB are still in place.
The EB trip started off quiet, some garble just before seeing the 333 WLs dark at 0411. Only occasional spurts of hash got heard further east, either side of the 330.8 WBs -- Clears -- and the 330 WLs and ELs and GL WLs -- all Stops.
The FG WLs were dark, and at 0424, the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT, but mebbe the power was south of the racks on East Side.
Post refueling stop and at 0436, the EB staggers for Derby were dark and somebody told somebody else they were good for 30. Another OT hedzup -- the SB side of I-190 has also been converted to mileage-based exit numbers.
0446 was the start of a D-3 convo with AY-4. They couldn't get any work done until AYPO departed, so they were to hold on the Camp for a while.
0446 was when D-3 told Q427 to stand by, talking to AY-4 at 0455 -- the Trainmaster having said something about a trash car via Moores and then waters and then get the pig yarded. Copy that? Stand by on the Camp, and D-3 would drop the signal.
At 0458, D-3 called out a coupla times to 427, and a minute later, AYPO was doing a car countdown, followed immediately by D-3 calling out to 427 again. By this time, I'd pulled over to the side of the road just south of the Temple Street/Rte. 140/MP X7.8 crossing to more safely copy the Form D than I could in the Rte. 140 SB rollercoaster. 5 minutes produced naught, so I was on the move again, 0510 being when D-3 told AY-4 that the trash car was to shoved down 2 and the freight -- the waters? -- was to be shoved to 6, overflow to 7, with an OK on signal indication after the Keolis train went by.
By now, I had been sitting in my driveway, a practice ended at 0515 with no Q427 Form D. D-3 was being paid more to deal with unmet expectations than I was.

Edited once for X7.8 and X6.0 crossing noise at 0654 and 0714.
  by jaymac

0255-0446/03-30-2021 started off really quiet, proof of scanner function not coming until 0304 with NECR hash, 0306 with CSX hash, and 0307 with P&W Dispatcher clarity. At 0317, D-3 called out to AE-01 with something about ED-8 being down there, a heap of hash following, and more hash following in 5 when somebody called out to D-3, no further developments getting me.
At 0326, the 333 WLs were dark, and it sure sounded like "AY-4" got spoken on the way over to 334 (the ELs at Stop and the 1 stagger dark), anda 0331 "3 to go" got said on my way over to the also-dark 335s.
At 0334, FI-2 reached out to D-3, evidently wanting to cross over cuz D-3 asked if was East to West or West to East. Response and acknowledgment never got to me, but faint and unattributable car countdowns did at 0336.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were dark, Yard 4 having from about the easterly FP 3 covered hoppers and 9 -- yes, nine -- coil cars, all NSs, so some sales rep/s had been busy.
The start of the EB trip featured encroaching PD radioactivity, later Yard Channel garble, followed by even more garble from D-3 to AE-01 about ED-9, followed by even more Yard Channel garble..
At 0355, the 333 WLs were dark, and further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Clear for 1 and Stop for 2, 22K sitting on the #2. 0401 was when 22K's new crew advised D-3 they were on board, D-3 advising them they'd be standing by cuzza AE-1 and AYPO.
22K was doing just what D-3 had asked them to do, NSs 9953, 4417, and 6971 on 2 across from the platform awning. The FG WLs were dark, and the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT, but warmer weather now here, a tamper and regulator sat on West Side at 0410. A buncha racks sat on East Side. Dunno if WB MTs and/or possible WB loads for the PW via FI-1.
0415 was when a breaking X7.8 announced the transmission was over, so 427 wouldn't be making me age even more on the wrong side of the Temple Street/Rte. 140/MP X7.8 crossing. 2 later, the EB staggers for Derby were dark, so I got no idea where FI-2 mighta been crossing over unless it was well east.
At 0427, D-3 gave a garbled-to-me 241 to POED with the 7528, another 241 -- both broken and unattributable, so mebbe D-2 -- following at 0434.
At 0434, there was hash involving ED-8 and AYPO, and at 0444, AYPO with the 7575 gave a sometimes breaking update to D-3. The 7534 was the trailer, the marker was CSXT, a hash storm, and 3940'. D-3 would acknowledge without repeating and OK them on East Wye on signal indication, hedzupping at 0446 that FI-3 had derailed a car at the switch at San-Vel, but it was not fouling.

OT -- There were enough small and medium caliber branches on the ground in the tree tunnels I drive through to confirm the wisdom of my decision to not be out and about predawn during the 03-29 60-mph gusts. Let's all follow Sgt. Phil's advise about being careful out there.
  by jaymac

0255-0510/03-31-2021 broke with patterns of late. Immediate Yard Channel garble was followed by D-3 confirming with AY-3 -- more about whom later -- that the Milling was lined and locked and that they had 16 cars, followed by a question about West Main Street, the answer to which was rogered without repetition. That was followed by an "AYPO, take it ahead," that in turn followed by car countdowns that got increasingly garbled with the increase in distance and interfering topography.
Silence became the mode until some brief 0320 D-3 garble, and at 0327, the 333 WLs were dark. The 334 ELs were at Stop and the 1 stagger dark, and at 0333, there was a broken D-2 241 for wherever to POED with the whatever.
Another break in pattern were the Stops on the 335s. During the renewed, but breaking, car countdowns, the west started getting brighter, and 22K with NSs 6951, 1038, and 4182 got 67 all-occupied table and well positions -- including 1 trailer -- east of the ELs at 0341. Yet more about 22K will follow.
Things were quiet WB up Da Hill to the dark 345s. From the Extension east, Yard 1 had a dozen loaded racks, and Yard 2 had more racks by the easterly FP changing to general -- covered hoppers being the most visible -- towards the westerly FP. Dunno about Yard 4. At 0357, D-3 gave AY-3 with the 7643 permissiomn to reverse direction from where they stood and proceed west to CPF-AY, making it seem like their runaround had been completed.
The EB trip would be quiet until 0401 when D-3 told FI-2 -- another more about whom later -- to call him on the phone about going to Ayer.
At 0407, the 333 WLs were dark, and further east, the 330.8 WBs were at Clear and the 330 WLs at Stop, the GL WLs were dark, and the FG WLs at Stop cuzza 22K sitting on 2.
At 0422, KCIR 5973 was sitting in the FI-1/2 parking spot. Dunno if the FI-2 crew had cabbed to Ayer or if there had been another change of plans.
Post refueling stop, there was brief Dispatcher-side garble at 0420, and at 0432 the EB staggers for Derby were dark.
0442 was when there was "AY-3" followed by garble, D-3 next asking if it would be West Wye or East, the response being rogered, but not repeated.
The next input was visual -- WB power on the Oakdale causeway at 0446. The 10 MPH MAS still in effect, I had more than ample time to site myself south of the Temple Street/Rte. 140/MP X7.8 crossing, protection activating at 0458, the talker talking at 0459, and CSXTs 415 and 843 plus their 69 getting a no defects at 0504. Up front were 9 C&D loads followed by 6 MT centerbeams, the rest being a few Irving centerbeams, a coupla chem tanks, a good number of LPGs, and boxes -- many with open doors -- that included a Big G.
Guessing that the potential acquirer might be in contact with the potential acquisition in a bit since the WB power was east-facing.
The other expectable presences? Naught heard to, from, or about.
  by jaymac

0310-0515/04-03-2021 had some interesting sights, not the least of which were various groupings of fisher folks at various spots around the Wachusett Reservoir waiting for the legality of sunrise for the start of fishing season. Their personal head lights kinda made it look numbers of late-night conventions of C&U folks. Oh, yeah -- when I was walking to my car, there was the sound of distant power.
Things were silent for me until D-3 reached out to POED with a new speedo -- 25 MPH -- for the west-end switch at Flanagans, MP BF35.4, the read-back being OKd at 0327. 0330 produced some Road-side garble, D-3 next answering AYPO, taking and rogering without repeating their broken update , saying he'd take them down to East Wye, adding an OK on signal indication.
0440 was when the 333 WLs were dark, the 334 ELs at Stop and 1 stagger being dark in a bit, but -- surprise -- the 335 ELs were at Stop.
The west did get bright, and NSs 6951, 4182, and ???? got 117 all-occupied -- even 1 trailer -- table and well position east of 335 at 0354.
The trip WB up the Hill to the dark 345s was quiet, and the yard was crammed. 1 had general that included an unplacarded tank, covered hoppers, an articulated table with Clean Harbor containers, gons, CRYO-TRANSes, and hoonose what else. 2 had even more general, covered hoppers among them. 4 -- at least on the easterly end -- had loaded racks.
Things were quiet EB until 0417 Dispatcher-side garble. At 0424, the 333 WLs were at Stop, so a wait started, a short wait cuz things went dark at 0426. Later receptions would argue against 22K having slowed just east of the 335s for a 333 recrew, but -- if they hadn't worked Ayer and/or Fitchburg -- it mebbe mighta been POED. Receptions gave no clue since POED had been a 1-shot-only reception.
Further east, the 330.8 WBs were at Clear and the 330 WLs and ELs all at Stop. The GL and FG WLs were dark, as was west-facing and sitting KCIR 5973 on East Side at 0440. It was hard to tell if the racks were tied on, but it was easy to see that the tamper and regulator were still on West Side.
Post refueling stop and at 0448, 22K's E got the word that there were 20 to go. Subsequent receptions included car countdowns showing that the shove was about to start as indicated at 0451 by words that there was a Restricting and to back up for 20.
At 0453, the EB staggers for Derby were dark , and at 0458, D-3 reached out to Q427, probable fulfillment of their Form D being blocked by Mount Wachusett.
Yard Channel receptions -- sometimes IDable as 22K and sometimes just hash -- would close out the balance of listening.
Saw more foxes crossing roads today than I usually do. Mebbe their routines have been disrupted by the appearance of the personal headlight folks.
  by jaymac

0300--0445/04-05-2021 was sparing, even with servings of hash, the first coming at 0311, the next at 0315 when a "far enough" escaped into clarity. To save suspense, naught attributable would be heard to, from, or about 22K, AY-4, AY-5, POED, EDPO, ED-8, ED-9, POAY/AYPO, and Q426/7. AY-3? You'll see.
At 0329, there would be a broken 241 for somebody at for CPF-AY, and at 0331, the 333 WLs were dark, the usual -- Stops for the 334 ELs and darkness for the 334 1 stagger and 335s -- to follow.
The WB trip to the dark 345s was silent, and the yard looked like a carbon copy of the 04-03 viewing with 1 change. On more careful inspection, what I had called gons on the 1 were actually loaded stick-rail cars. In the mean time and at 0347, D-3 called out to FI-3 a coupla times, next asking if they read him, said something about "ready to copy" -- him? them? -- and then OKd them on signal indication. Naught further would be heard by me about FI-3.
EB down Da Hill, there were a few hashing, including Dispatcher-side, at 0401, the 333 WLs were dark, and at 0402, FI-2 called out to D-3, naught further to be heard, so he mebbe put in a light.
Further east, the 330.8 WBs were at Clear and the 330 WLs and ELs all at Stop, hinting that mebbe the earlier FI-3 convo featured the party on wheels being at or around San-Vel.
The GL and FG WLs were dark, and at 0415 and in the midst of a temporary hash storm, the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT. 6 later, the EB staggers for Derby were dark, so mebbe FI-2 was either well east or off the main.
For the rest of the trip, what hash there was was rare. At 0445, D-3 would get on the air to AY-3 with the 7622, confirming that they were lined and locked normal at the Ford Plant -- yep, the Ford Plant and not the Milling -- and ask if they were going back light and then giving them permission to reverse direction from where they stood on the #2 and go west to CPF-AY.
  by jaymac

0245-0435/04-07-2021 featured an elevation in hash -- especially on the Dispatcher side of Channel 1 -- and could be problematic for those of us with elevations of cholesterol and/or blood pressure. Yard Channel hash, however, would be the first heard, that from 0303 and on, 0311 garble including "MP X??" and "Q426."
0318 would be when the 333 WLs were dark, and the sequential pattern of Stops on the 334 ELs and darkness on the 334 1 stagger and 335s were in full force. There had been Dispatcher-side Channel 1 garble that included "back 20 cars," possibly -- as will be seen -- from ED-8's C since "ED-8" would emerge from a0326 garble storm.
At 0328, a breaking D-3 would tell AY-4 to "drop whatever unit is allegedly disabled," naught further heard to, from, or about either AY-4 or the unit in question.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were and would remain dark for longer than I was there. At 0322, there was D-3 garble to Q427, repeated a minute later, 0344 being the time of a near-totally hashed Form D fulfillment. In proof of the fickleness of reception, a shift of a coupla hundred feet produced a clear reception of Form D G301 to CSXT 5349 -- yep, a 4-axle leader -- for MP X25 to Burncoat, time effective 0336. There was something broken, a roger, and a "talk to you at Worcester." Unsurprisingly, I heard no acknowledgment of entry into DCS. What I did hear almost immediately was a 2-west-to-2 241 for ED-8 with the NS 6954 for CPF-AY. Never heard anymore about them, so dunno if they were backing to racks after a Hill Yard drop or doing a back-and-forth after coming back from San-Vel. To close out 427, there was no crossing noise heard inside my home as of 0525.
Yard 4 was pretty much FP-FP, primarily covered hoppers and boxes, a solo loaded rack towards the east, an unplacarded tank, and what looked like a few more stick-rail carriers.
The EB trip featured occasional hash -- Yard Channel and Boston East. 0351 was when the 333 WLs were dark, further east the 330.8 WBs being at Clear and the 330 WLs and ELs all at Stop. The GL and FG WLs were dark, and at 0403, KCIR 5973 -- a possible contributor to earlier hash -- was dark, solo, and west-facing in the FI-1/2 parking spot. The West Side's tamper and regulator had moved elsewhere.
0411 was when the EB staggers for Derby were dark, and at 0414, there was D-3 hash in a normally clear spot. Dunno if antenna selection or antenna issues.
At 0417, D-3 reached out to AY-3, asked about East Wye, and rogered their response. A coupla minor static eruptions filled out the trip. 22K, EDPO. POED, FI-3, AY-5, AE-01? Dunno.
  by jaymac

0249-0500/04-10-2021 showed the occasional rewards of randomness when AE-01 started a car countdown. It sounded like there mighta also been somebody else near Hill Yard, but I never got an ID. Amidst the ongoing and broken car countdowns, there was additional Road-side breakage that sounded like an update, but can't confirm since there was no D-3 acknowledgment while I was in an area where D-3 is normally receivable.
Radio silence had become the mode by the time of the the 0321 viewing of the dark 333 WLs, the usual pattern to follow.
The trip up Da Hill was quiet until 0332 and Exit 90A on Rte. 2 WB -- yep, another conversion to mileage-based exit numbers -- when B&M Detector Mileage 7.8 got brokenly on the air. Time was rightish for Q427, but never heard a Form D fulfillment, so dunno for sure. 1 other piece of evidence that it mighta been 427 was a broken 0443 reception when D-? told AYPO with the 7??9 that they'd be tying down at Lowell Tower.
All the way up Da Hill, the 345 ELs were at Stop, cars were on the #2 at the Timpany Boulevard UGB, and the 345 1 WL was at Clear. There was an unplacarded tank on Yard 1 west of Chair City oil, but the WB marker on the 2 by Royal Steam Heater blocked the view of what else might been there.
The trip slightly west showed that the detour signs were still up for the still-OOS Pleasant Street OHB. The arrival at Parkers showed that the 346 WL was at Clear and somebody else was already there. If you want to see the action, it's posted on Stephen Demboske's YouTube site. The west got loud, as did the 346.6 at 0344, 22 K with NSs 6959, 6952, and 6959 getting a no defects, 214 total axles, 48°, and 4558' at 0347. For those who keep track of such things, 22K made noise for POED. Containers musta been piling up at Ayer cuz the rear half was MT. To close out 22K receptions, 0440 would be when they got their 1-to-2 yarding instructions.
While 22K was passing in review, D-3 got on the air with POED, and I sure hope whatever he had to say was clearer to them than it was to me.
0352 was when the predawn east got bright and POED got on the move, NewBlue 7542 and KCIRs 7535, 7622, and 5933 reactivating the the 346.6 at 0354. The cars on the headpin -- coil cars and MT stick-rail carriers -- made it look like POED had lifted all but what was on 1 in the yard. The rest of the train was pretty much a stereotypical WB -- wrapped centerbeams, shorties, non placarded tanks, a BNSF mini-EGT, boxes that included a Big G and a Smurf, and scrap gons -- at least 1 of which had a major flat spot. To show the lack of recent rain, they all had shiny sidewalls. There were, however, a few cars with rusty sidewalls -- company dump hoppers. Headed for Trew mebbe? The 346.6 gave a no defects, total axles 563, 48°, 7510', and train to slow, POED acknowledging.
Only PD Gardner was radioactive on the EB leg of the trip. Silence was the mode during the 0417 viewing of the dark 333 WLs and even further east. The 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and a Clear for 2, the Clear on the 330 1 WL showing -- at least temporarily -- that it'd be bit east before 22K crossed to the #2. The GL and FG WLs were darkAt 0430, the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT, but there was a trailer dump active at the west end of the Keolis Engineering lot. 0435 was when the EB staggers for Derby were dark, and only the earlier-noted receptions provided any soundtrack for the rest of the trip.
  by jaymac

0300-0450/04-12-2021 further demonstrated -- as if it were needed -- the randomness of reception and not just because those usually present -- AY-4, POAY/AYPO, and Q426/7 -- were absent from the airwaves.
At 0302, the P&W Dispatcher gave proof of scanner function, the first company business coming at 0312 with the semi-clear D-3 side of a convo with AY-3, asking them if they were lined and locked normal, rogering and OKing them on signal indication, adding that he couldn't get a switch to reverse and that they would have to do it by hand. It then -- unclearly -- sounded that they might be leaving their cars at the Milling and returning light to Ayer. Whatever it was, D-3 rogered it.
At 0320, there was a garble storm, "22K" being clear, and 0322 would start the reception of 22K car countdowns, If 22K was either yarding or about to, POAY/AYPO and/or Q426/7 probably weren't in the yard, a hint of which would come later.
0332 was when the 333 WLs were dark, the usual sequence of Stops for the 334 ELs and darkness to follow. At 0339, there was hash with "ED-8" and "Freight Main" being clear. To save suspense, that was the last time "ED-8" would exit the speaker.
Things cleared up enough to hear EDPO with the 7622 get a Line 13 -- time effective 0341--at OX to leave OX. It was Form D G311, an atypically high number for the wee hours of the morning, so mebbe 427 was already WB. There would also be the words that they would be held at Derby.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were dark, and 0345 was the start of the broken D-3 side of an exchange with FI-3 about a switch -- mebbe the same 1 under discussion with AY-3 -- that involved mebbe a specific key for the lockbox. FI-2 would get involved, and D-3 would pass on to F!-3 with the 5948 what key it might be. PD Gardner decided to go radioactive, so dunno any immediate developments.The yard? Given the number of EBs already east, you might guess it was occupied, and it was. The Extension and west on 1 to Royal Steam Heater had a coil car, covered hoppers, tented centerbeams, and CRYO-TRANSes. 2 had more CRYO-TRANSes west to the westerly end of Chair City Oil and then racks to mebbe to the westerly FP. 4? Even more CRYO-TRANSes on the east, the view being blocked of anything else.
The EB trip featured 0400 D-3 hash to FI-3 and the start of rain that confined itself to north of Rte. 117, at least while I was out. At 0407, the 333 WLs were dark, and further east the 330.8WBs at Clear, the 330 WLs and ELs at Stop, and the GL and FG WLs dark.
At 0419, the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT, and at at 0425, the EB staggers for Derby had an Approach for 1 and a Stop for 2. FI-2 and/or EDPO? Dunno, but at 0442, there would be D-3 breakage to FI-2 about cars, a runaround, and OK on signal indication.
Naught would reach my ears for the balance of the trip, not even inside-the-home crossing noise for the X7.8 as of 0555.
  by jaymac

0252-0450/04-14-2021 started off with 22K telling themselves they were starting to back East Wye. 22K would be a principal occupant of the airwaves, sometimes for car countdowns and 3 steps and 1 other time for D-3 giving them -- with NS 6953 as the leader -- permission to reverse direction from where they stood and proceed east with the interlocking limits of CPF-AY, presumably as preparation for their shove to 2. Given that intermittent 22K receptions would be ongoing until I was a bit west of 335 on the EB leg of the trip, I'm guessing that there was also overflow to 3. And yes, the 335s, 334 1 stagger, and 333 WLs -- at 0324 -- had been dark, the 334 ELs at Stop.
Also at Stop would be the 345 ELs and WLs, NSs 6959, 4440 and 4404 on the #2 in back of the Pratt buildings and cars including racks, a coupla CRYO-TRANSes, and MT stick-rail carriers to the east, showing that PW MTs had been lifted. Yard 4, however, had some CRYO-TRANSes and covered hoppers on the easterly end. At 0344, ED-9 with said NS 6959 reached out to D-3, gave a 2x84, 6820', and 3872 tons update, getting an OK west on signal indication, and got on said WB move at 0347, the same time as I got on the move EB, seeing lots WB racks at the Pearson Boulevard UGB.
At 0357, the 333 WLs were dark, and further east, the 330.8 WBs were at Clear, the 330 ELs and WLs all at Stop, and the GL and FG WLs dark. At 0409, the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT, and post refueling stop, the the EB staggers for Derby were dark.
The next 20 minutes had only short spurts of hash, but at 0441, D-3 answered FI-2, rogered whatever they said and OKd them on signal indication, possibly to cross the road somewhere. 0444 was when D-3 answered AYPO, advising that there were 7x13 on Track 10 and that the Thorofare had another 7x2 which AY-4 had said he was gonna test.
Q427 with CSXT 5312 was next at 0445. Never heard a fulfillment for Q426's Form D, but G301 gave 427 X25 to Burncoat, time effective 0447, D-3 adding that time into DCS mebbe 0500?
AE-01, AY-3, AY-5, POED? Dunno -- unheard by me, but I remain amazed that that 22K, POAY/ AYPO, Q426/7, and AY-4 had been in such close and productive proximity.
  by jaymac

0250-0435/04-15-2021 shared many commonalities with 04-14, starting off with 22K starting their shove onto the wye and also accounting for a large number of receptions. But there were also some differences. 0255 would offer "AY-3, drop the 3." Dunno where they were, but I normally can't receive the Willows from where I was then.
Next up at 0258 was D-3 reaching out to Q427, fulfilling 426's Form D G330 at 0259 and issuing Form D G301 -- time effective 0301 -- to 427 with CSXT 3182 for MP X25 to Burncoat. The update was asked for and rogered without repetition, the time into DCS also being requested, 0304 being when D-3 answered 427 and rogered. To save suspense, naught would be heard from the X7.8 talker, and the only crossing noise was at 00503, the source impossible to say cuzza the atypical wind direction detailed below.
As with yesterday, 22K receptions would continue well into the EB leg of the trip. At 0324, the 333 WLs were dark, there being no change in the normal pattern of things to the immediate west.
One other change was the flag at the Aubuchon HQ on the EB side of Rte. 2 in Westminster as -- instead of the more normal NW or W wind -- it indicated a strong SE wind, confirming the winter weather advisories on my dashboard screen, such warnings having been the cause of a Thursday instead of a Friday trip.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were dark, unlike 04-14. But there was a repetition of a 04-14 event. D-3 gave permission to 22K with the NS 6951 to reverse direction from where they stood with the interlocking limits of CPF-AY. Yard 1 had general -- mostly covered hoppers -- from Royal Steam Heater west, and Yard 2 had general -- covered hoppers, placarded and unplacarded tanks, coil cars, and stick-rail carriers -- from Chair City Oil east.
EB and at 0352, the 333 WLs were dark, and further east, the 330.8 WBs were Clear and the 330 WLs and ELs all at Stop. The GL and FG WLs were dark, and the FI-1/2 asking spot was MT at 0404. At 0405, a breaking D-3 would reach out to AY-3, go into garble with only "yard" and "Roger, stand by." being clear. 0406 would be a breaking D-3 would contact AY-3 again, only "recrew you" being clear.
At 0409, the EB staggers for Derby seemed dark, "seemed" cuzza activity in the RVJ lot, and 0411 was when AYPO's E got the OK to back it up, the start of some sometimes clear car countdowns.
0411 was the start of another broken D-3 side of a convo to a garbled somebody about a car number and asking if they thought they make it up to Fitchburg, later clarity being "keep the car back" and "West Main Street." FI-2 or POED seem possibilities.
A few small servings of hash was all for the balance of the trip.

Edited once to correct time of crossing noise being heard to 0503.
  by jaymac

0255-0445/04-19-2021 was sparing of my scanner batteries, the 1st reception not coming until 0324 when D-2 said something about LO and pulling up to Meadowcroft Street to POED, more D-2 hash following at 0327 with something to BODO. Such radio silence seemed an atypical honoring of the observed Patriots Day Holiday.
To save suspense, naught attributable would be seen/heard to from, or, about FI-3, ED-8/9, EDPO, AE-01, AY-3, AY-4, AY-5, POAY/AYPO, or Q426/7 despite later an only occasional Yard Channel hash and despite the X7.8 midnightish crossing noise that disrupted a light stage of sleep. As of 0530, no X7.8 crossing noise for a possible 427, wither.
At 0327, the 333 WLs were dark, the usual sequence being the usual.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were dark, and the yard was fairly full. 1 had general west from the Yard Lead Switch that included covered hoppers, scrap gons, unplacarded tanks, a loaded pair of stick-rail carriers. The CRYO-TRANSes to the west coulda been on 1 or 2, 2 having covered hoppers east and hoonose what west. The easterly end of 4 had 3 covered hoppers and 1 unplacarded tank. If there were any racks, they were blocked from view.
The quiet on the trip east was broken by a breaking D-3 calling out to FI-2 -- more about whom later -- at 0350. This was on the westerly side of the Rte. 2 EB crest, so -- for a change -- no fault belonged to Mount Wachusett.
At 0357, the 333 WLs were dark, and further east on the #2 about midway between the 2 River Street UGBs, 22K's marker wasn't. The 330. WLs and ELs were all at Stop, and dark NSs 6952, 7542, and 1002 sat across from the the Fitchburg station complex. Mebbe a recrew?
The GL WLs had been dark, but the FG WLs were at Stop with no shunting candidates visible E or W. At 0414, KCIR 5948 was sitting, dark, solo, and facing west in the FI-1/2 parking spot, so mebbe they had just put up and FG WLs burndown hadn't yet happened.
At 0419, the EB staggers for Derby were dark, the balance of the trip feature a few trades of Yard Channel hash.
  by jaymac

0255-0455/04-21-2021 was not a good day on the reception front, doubts arising about whether my antenna and not those of PAR/s might be in difficulty, that doubt removed when the automated Morse ID on the Pioneer Valley frequency came in both loud and clear. I read English better than I do Morse, so dunno the source.
Bracketing the Morse ID, there was Dispatcher-side 0309 hash that allowed "roger on that" for clarity, followed in a few more "maintainer down there" and "the tracks" as the clear bits.
Some Yard Channel hash followed at 0323, that followed by D-3 calling out to AE-01, followed again by more hash. At 0328, the 333 WLs were dark, the usual pattern of Stops for the 334 ELs and darkness for the 334 1 stagger and 335s being observed.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were dark, and from just west of the easterly FP, Yard 4 had loaded racks that changed by the ambulance company to a coupla covered hoppers.
On the EB leg of the trip, there were garbles on the Dispatcher side 0348-0349, but Mount Wachusett was interposed between my antenna and the Paxton antenna. At 0355, the 333 WLs were at Stop, a dimmed NSs 6945, 1 trailer, and the rest of 22K having done just that. The leader was in between the 333 building and the platform, not the ideal place for a recrew, so mebbe a hold was ongoing. To save suspense, naught further would be heard to, from, or about 22K.
Further east was boiler-plate -- Clears for the 330.8 WBs, Stops for the 330 WLs and ELs, and darkness for the GL and FG WLs. At 0411, the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT. At 0359, D-3 had again called out to AE-01, gone to garble, "??48" and "1 Track" getting into clarity. Since KCIR 5948 had been in the parking spot for the 04-19 trip, the question arose whether the FI-2 power and crew had been repurposed to AE-01.
At 0416, the EB staggers for Derby were dark, and D-3 reached out to Q427, confirmed that CSXT 2162 (?) was west and clear of Burncoat, and fulfilled Form D G301 at 0427. There was more, but now in garble mode. When I was going to my car at 0255, it had sounded like there was 10 MPH power noise well west, and when I was getting out of it at 0455, ditto, each time without crossing noise.
There would be occasional Yard Channel hash for the balance of the trip, but naught attributable to, from, or about AY-3, AY-4, AY-5, EDPO, POED, ED-8/9, FI-3, or POAY/AYPO.