Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1532639  by nyandw

Gap jumpers (snakes) were stored at many interlockings which were named in the Special Instructions. Anyone with the Special Instructions details and photos of these items? Thank you.
 #1532644  by BuddR32

Pennsylvania Railroad- Long Island Rail Road CT-290 Special Instructions for Employees in Electrified Territory May 1, 1933
page 25

21. Emergency jumpers are kept at places designated in the timetable, to supply power to electric equipment for short movements, where contact with the third rail is lost. Employee using jumper must guard against injury or burning by arc when contact is made or broken. Prompt report must be made to the Superintendent when (a) emergency jumpers are not at designated places, (b) difficulty is experienced in their use, (c) defective, and (d) removed from and not returned to designated place.

The current version of this document has interestingly enough the definition of an emergency jumper, but no further mention or instruction on it.
As an aside, I think in the TA these were called BULLWHIPs and you would see boxes marked the same along the track in interlockings.
 #1532646  by nyandw

BuddR32 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:51 am Pennsylvania Railroad- Long Island Rail Road CT-290 Special Instructions for Employees in Electrified Territory May 1, 1933
page 25

21. Emergency jumpers are kept at places designated in the timetable, to supply power to electric equipment for short movements, where contact with the third rail is lost. Employee using jumper must guard against injury or burning by arc when contact is made or broken. Prompt report must be made to the Superintendent when (a) emergency jumpers are not at designated places, (b) difficulty is experienced in their use, (c) defective, and (d) removed from and not returned to designated place.

The current version of this document has interestingly enough the definition of an emergency jumper, but no further mention or instruction on it.
As an aside, I think in the TA these were called BULLWHIPs and you would see boxes marked the same along the track in interlockings.
Kelly&Kelly had informed me of their original existence. "...TA these were called BULLWHIPs... " What is TA'?
 #1532700  by DutchRailnut

we use to have these at MN too , it was two gap sticks connected with about 8 feet of double 00 welding cable.
mainly used pre- M1/M3 as those the load of Motor Alternator was just to big to play around with , there basically was no (no load) function.
 #1532709  by 452 Card

While stationed at Harold for commission hour duty standby, I was told by my supervisor to check the "bugs" in the container outside the front of the tower to evaluate their condition. I opened the wooden salt box they were stored in, which was a standard box built by B&B. The contents were a rotting, mildew infested mass of large electrical cable with two, three-foot long handles wrapped in electrical tape with a large prong of metal on one end each. I vowed right then that would never use them, even if the whole railroad would come to a halt at Harold. Way too dangerous, and I was not getting hazard pay for doing someone elses work. Nobody from that point on ever told me what was the outcome.
 #1532719  by DutchRailnut

sissy :-)
 #1532824  by Kelly&Kelly

a rotting, mildew infested mass of large electrical cable with two, three-foot long handles wrapped in electrical tape
Haha... I read your words and thought they were mine.
Anyone who has ever opened one of those salt boxes and glanced inside had precisely the same thoughts!

oh yea, the covering on the cable was rotted flaking asbestos.
 #1533593  by Kelly&Kelly

The stingers were used in the shops to move an MU onto the pit tracks. I think they were always attached on one end to power?
 #1533628  by Backshophoss

NYC used "stingers at Harmon shop,and the now gone P-motor running repair building near the station at Harmon
one end was attached to a slider on a cable or beam mounted on the wall at ceiling height tied to 3rd rail power network.