Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#303209  by Love Train

Check out the new service advisory for the G to Coney Island/F to Euclid GO. The (A) train no longer runs local in Manhattan (just between 168th and 145th only). Instead the (D) is running local on CPW so the (A) can go express. Insteresting it also says the (E) replaces the (C) between 59th St and Canal St. Is this just a typo? I'm sure it is. What is the reason for this big change starting this week?

#306931  by ryanov

I am very annoyed by this change. In fact, ALL posted signage said the A was running local that weekend. It was not. There was no information about the D running local whatsoever. I took a nice ride to 125 finding out.
 #309983  by Majinvegeta

Love Train wrote:Check out the new service advisory for the G to Coney Island/F to Euclid GO. The (A) train no longer runs local in Manhattan (just between 168th and 145th only). Instead the (D) is running local on CPW so the (A) can go express. Insteresting it also says the (E) replaces the (C) between 59th St and Canal St. Is this just a typo? I'm sure it is. What is the reason for this big change starting this week?
actually i did see some E Trains at 59th street there were some pics on nycsubway.org. But wait im confused does that mean there are shuttles between union turnpike and jamaica center?
 #310371  by Love Train

Majinvegeta wrote:
Love Train wrote:Check out the new service advisory for the G to Coney Island/F to Euclid GO. The (A) train no longer runs local in Manhattan (just between 168th and 145th only). Instead the (D) is running local on CPW so the (A) can go express. Insteresting it also says the (E) replaces the (C) between 59th St and Canal St. Is this just a typo? I'm sure it is. What is the reason for this big change starting this week?
actually i did see some E Trains at 59th street there were some pics on nycsubway.org. But wait im confused does that mean there are shuttles between union turnpike and jamaica center?
No, the pics on nycsubway.org were from a different GO, or perhaps an emergency reroute, a while ago. This has nothing to do with the current GO. The (E) runs as normal. There is a service gap between 50th St and 59th St-CC, though one can just make a simple cross-platform transfer at 7th Av from the (D) to get to 50th St, no big deal.

Of course, if I were the MTA, I would just run the (A) local all the way in Manhattan. Sure, the (D) takes care of CPW, but the CPW line never has enought local service. Also, 8th Av doesn't really need express service, because it only skips 3 stops.

#310415  by ryanov

My favorite service advisory is "C not running, A and D running local." But that's because I travel to and from 81st.

Currently service on the 8th Ave line is so horrible on weekends if you're coming from Penn Station and going to CPW that I take the 7th Ave line and walk. You wait forever for the A, and then wait forever for the D. 59th street is very slow also due to track work.

#310589  by Love Train

ryanov wrote:My favorite service advisory is "C not running, A and D running local." But that's because I travel to and from 81st.

Currently service on the 8th Ave line is so horrible on weekends if you're coming from Penn Station and going to CPW that I take the 7th Ave line and walk. You wait forever for the A, and then wait forever for the D. 59th street is very slow also due to track work.
So wait...tell us: is only the (D) running local? Or is the (A) running local as well? Or is the (A) running local on 8th Av but express on CPW?

#310977  by protrain

The current published GO plan for the next few weekends is that to replace the C:
A between 168th and 145th
D between 145th and 59th
E between 50th and Canal
A between Chambers and Hoyt-Schermerhorn
F between Hoyt-Schermerhorn and Euclid

Therefore, the A SHOULD run its normal express route entirely except for adding stops at 163rd and 155th. However, there seems to be some inconsistency in both signage at stations and actual operation.

Ryanov, I agree with your assessment and I generally think 8th Avenue service is fairly lousy in general - things just seem to run less frequent service than it could or should and then on top of that run really slow. When I'm going from 34th-Penn Station to Broadway-Nassau in the middle of the AM peak and have to wait upwards of 8 minutes for a downtown express train, which happens regularly, there is a problem. In fact, most of the IND/BMT lines seem to run like snails...I especially loathe the Broadway Line locals.

On the flip side, when IRT service actually runs right on weekdays it runs pretty darn speedy, especially the 2/3 express and the Lex express (when it is not overwhelmed by extreme crowding).

#311011  by ryanov

Now this I don't know -- was 8th Ave service any better before the signal room fire? I didn't travel in NY much before late 2004.