Railroad Forums 

• Future Railroad Employees

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#606726  by KAWASAKI-FAN100

If I can't get a job in my field I plan to get a high position in SEPTA. Maybe a Public Relations officer.
 #613650  by ErieLimited2914

I'm a sophomore in high school and I hope to work at Strasburg after college or for a summer next year or the year after. I'd love to work for NJ Transit, but it's too rough. First 5 years is working the extra list and you can't plan to do anything at any day because you're on call, and its long hours and early mornings and late nights.

I'm going to go to school for engineering, and am going to take a few night classes to learn machining. I'm about to start building a Little Engines 4-6-2 Pacific modeled after an Erie K5s, and want to learn machining so I can do it in my garage to build it from rough castings. There's something about building something completely from scratch that gives you an extra satisfaction when its done.
 #637962  by joecop509

jogden wrote:
AznSumtinSumtin wrote:(I honestly don't what you call it when you "drive" a subway train).
motorman

anyways...i want to operate trains as well, but probably something bigger than the subway. :-D
I AGRE I WANT TO WORK FOR AMTRAK, CSXT OR UNION PACIFIC AS A TRAIN OPPERATOR.
I AMADGIN FOR THES JOBS YOU CAN’T BE ON DRUGS OR RUN IN WITH THE LAW BUT COMEON IM A PROUD CATHOLOIC :-) I DON’T THINK ALL THAT WILL HAPPEN
 #644239  by Chessie GM50

Currently going for a Major in Biomedical Engineering, and a minor in Photography.

NJT is somewhere back on the list, but it is still there...
 #644410  by atsf sp

I used to want to be an train engineer but now I'm not even having that in my mind. It depends on what I study in college. If I go for history, the RRs are virtually out. But if I go for business, I would probably apply for a management or logistics job on BNSF or CSX.
 #680424  by Darien Red Sox

atsf sp wrote:I used to want to be an train engineer but now I'm not even having that in my mind. It depends on what I study in college. If I go for history, the RRs are virtually out. But if I go for business, I would probably apply for a management or logistics job on BNSF or CSX.
Never rule anything out, it dose not relay matter what you study in college as long as you go to college. I have been told by multiple people working on the railroad that if you want to be a Conductor or Engineer having a college degree will help you greatly. I have spoke to a few people who went off and worked in other fields for many years including Wall Street until they decided to come back and get there child hood dream job. Do something you enjoy for you job because you will be doing it for the rest of your life.
 #695106  by MaineEasternFL9

I want to be an engineer but I don't think I can because I am somewhat color-blind. From what I understand I could still be a conductor on a passenger railroad. Not on a freight railroad though because the conductor has to be able to be promoted to engineer at some point. Also I think working for a passenger railroad gives you a more regular work schedual. You are less likely to work eratic scheduals.
 #695108  by MaineEasternFL9

I want to be an engineer but do to color blindness I don't think I can be. From what I understand I can still be a conductor on a passenger railroad.
 #695173  by atsf sp

I'll probably end up in a railroad management job or a job such as a yardmaster.

Re:

#736633  by Darien Red Sox

stevo wrote:i'm not gonna be in the cab. i couldn't live with myself after hitting someone...even though it wouldn't be my fault, i couldn't do it.
Agreed, this is the one thing that keeps me from wanting to get a job as an locomotive engineer.
 #781401  by Jordan

It seems like a lot of people here have been lead to believe that college or university time is helpful when getting a running trades job on the railroad. While it would look amazing for an executive type position, to my knowledge it's useless if you want to hire on as a conductor/mechanic/signal maintainer/track labourer/you get the drift. In those positions, prior work experience is what will benefit you the most. If they see you have any time working with machinery or in a shop, you will stand out big time.

If you could hire out at 18-19, you could be qualified as an engineer by 21-22 depending on your terminal. Not to mention, you could retire by 55 (at least on CP in Canada).
 #835551  by Train538

After I attend college for four years I am probably going to work for Metro-North as a locomotive engineer but Amtrak and New Jersey Transit are my back-up options.