Railroad Forums 

• Future of older EMD units

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#765249  by mrconductor55

Here in Chicago, year after year, old EMD geeps and switchers, 1st generation ones especially, have been disappearing. Are these older units serviceable, as in Are parts till available for them, or are they all just going to die sooner or later? I know atleast some 567 models are unserviceable. Its getting to the point now where they are really only seen in isolated pockets.
 #765273  by DutchRailnut

The problem with first and second generation power is, they are no longer EPA compliant(tier 2 compliance).
and as soon as engine work is needed only a part of engine can be replaced each year, I believe is 1/8 of amount of power assemblies per calender year.
so if more than the allowable amount of parts are needed, you need to wait till next calender year to replace the excess parts.
Both the 567 and 645 engines are in this EPA spectrum except for a few newer 645's in commuter operations (different rules called tier 0)
 #765315  by RickRackstop

The early 567 engines with A and B waterdeck crankcases require special cylinder heads and and liners. I don't think EMD has made any in 30 years and there isn't a big enough market for other parts makers to build them either. I heard that some rebuilder in the south could recut a diamond 3 head to fit. The problem is that if these operators had money for new parts they could have picked up a replacement C crankcase engine for scrap value long ago. The 567C started production in 1954 and if converted to 645 power assemblies can comply with EPA tier 0 which is all that would be required for such an old locomotive.
:-)
 #765317  by DutchRailnut

better study those tier 2 restrictions again, as 645 engines are being retired in mass quantities due to 645 not complying and not being able to be rebuild more than 1/8 of total powerpacks per year.
the 567 with 645 power assemblies is still the same poluting 567.
unless fuel timing etc is set so critical the engine loses about 30% of performance, not worth it for a unit with low hp to begin with.
 #765436  by RickRackstop

Tier 0 (1973-2001) locomotives
Tier 1 (2002-2004) locomotives
Tier 2 (2005+ locomotives
I take it that everything older than 1973 build date is grandfathered in and if not they will probably claim hardship and get a variance. Government regulations is like playing cards with someone who changes the rules so you always lose.
 #765444  by DutchRailnut

every thing is grandfathered unless its being rebuild, a rebuild is anything more than 1/8 replaced as far as power assemblies is concerned.
If unit was rebuilt between construction and effective date of new regulations the rebuilding date is concidered building date for EPA.
passenger locomotives are all considered tier 0