Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #371151  by gprimr1

I've seen alot of B&O signals and I can usually figure out why they chose the lunars they do, except for the full 6 lunar signal.

I've found the full 6 lunar signals in 2 places: There is one visiable from I-95 if you look towards Baltimore. (It's only really visable from the southbound lanes) and there are two sitting right before a 2 track line merges with the NEC just north of WAS.

What conditions would require the presense of all 6 lunars?

#376860  by FarmallBob

Greg - Don't know the answer to your question. However the "fully loaded" CPL below is configured the way it is simply because all the parts just happened to be available! (It stands at the Rochester and Genesee Valley RR Museum in Rush, NY)

Incidentally in normal CPL practice the two right hand markers are yellow, not lunar. ...FB

Last edited by FarmallBob on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #395143  by CPL Signal

Greg:

First off, the top and bottom lights on a CPL signal are not called "lunars". Lunar describes the color of one indication, restricting, which is found on some CPL signals. The top and bottom lights are known as "markers" by the signal folks and also are called "pilot light" by Train and Engine crews.

Secondly, the placement of markers is determined by the arrangment of the interlocking that the signal guards. The more complex the interlocking and routing, the more marker lights will be present.

Below is an example of such on a VA Dwarf signal at Hopple Street interlocking, Cincinnati, Ohio. This signal was removed from service the following year during an interlocking upgrade. I was on CSX property with permission.

CPL Guy