Railroad Forums 

• Fuel Needs

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1189748  by Adirondacker

Desertdweller wrote:NKCR railway uses "Ruby Red bio-Diesel". I think it is a Cenex product. I don't know what grain is used in producing it, but I suspect corn.
And the stuff really is red!
All untaxed diesel is dyed red. That way when the truck driver gets the urge to fill up his tank with No. 2 Heating Oil, when he gets to the weigh station it's easy to see he's been filling up his fuel tank with untaxed fuel.
 #1192152  by jstolberg

CN joins the LNG testing phase, ordering 4 LNG tenders.
Westport Innovations Inc. (TSX:WPT/NASDAQ:WPRT), today announced the launch of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) tender product solution with an order for four tenders from Canadian National Railway (CN) (TSX:CNR) (NYSE:CNI). The first tender to supply fuel to an adjacent natural-gas powered locomotive will be delivered in the fourth quarter of 2013.
The next generation hydrocarbons that we are extracting (shale gas, shale oil and Canadian oil sands) produce smaller fractions of diesel fuel. Shale gas and shale oil are lighter, producing more natural gas, propane, butane, etc. Oil sands are heavier and solid at room temperature. Diesel fuel comes from the middle of what is becoming a dumbbell shaped mix. As conventional oil sources are depleted, the trucking industry and railroad industry will be pressured to reduce their dependence on diesel.
 #1192270  by Eliphaz

Desertdweller wrote:... I don't know what grain is used in producing it, but I suspect corn.
Bio oil is made from soy. in the tropics its made from canola or palm.
Let us recall also, that the original Diesel engine ran on peanut oil.